Npr rings

MKIII TURBO60-1

Dec 29, 2008
Ocala,Fl
Im rebuilding my motor again, whipped out a rod bearing tuning. I ran too much boost on stock timing. Anyways im going to be shooting for 400whp and the last thing i want to worry about is my rings not sealing or failing. I bought .20 over stock pistons that came with npr rings. Should i use the npr rings or source better rings. Any suggestions? Yes i plan on having timing control this time, last time was just a map ecu, im going to try out the aem fic this time

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
NPR are good rings...the top ring is chromoly which is a very hard tuff ring which is great for a reliable build that is meant to last a very long time!

Being that the ring is chromoly and our blocks are made of a very hard cast iron, you need to inform the machinist of this....you'll want a very aggressive crosshatch to promote proper wear for break in...30 deg cross hatch I believe with the proper stones! Break in should be hard and fast for these rings...meaning that when break it in you rag the holly shit out of the motor! Keep rpms moving up and down and never stable....do 3rd gear pulls to say 80mph and let the engine slow you back down to say 40mph...this will pull as much vacume as it can causing the rings to be forced against the cylinder walls making them wear in as fast and evenly as possible.....break in should only take you about an hour if done properly and if you baby it you run the risk of uneven wear or glazing which means they will never seal and will never stop burning oil!!

Last edited:

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
gaboonviper85;1472064 said:
NPR are good rings...the top ring is chromoly which is a very hard tuff ring which is great for a reliable build that is meant to last a very long time!

They dont make chromoly rings. They are either chromium or moly coated. Most rings are cast iron with a chrome or moly coating.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
bmoss85;1472111 said:
They dont make chromoly rings. They are either chromium or moly coated. Most rings are cast steel with a chrome or moly coating.

Fuck that's right...my bad....chrom something or other=very tuff ring and coated black, is probably the moly...good rings