Nothing on car will turn on even though it has a charged battery

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
So I daily my car and its been pretty reliable...and randomly none of the stuff in my car could turn on after i got home yesterday. So i checked my fuses, and my ALT fuse was as black as electric tape, so i replaced it. Unfortunately it didn't fix my problem. I dont think its my battery because it has good voltage. i checked fender wiring too, its not rubbed or anything. I don't think its anything ignition related because my power locks dont work either...any ideas? tips?

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
check voltage drop between battery post and battery terminals and check voltage drop between battery and fuse box. this will tell you if your fusible link is bad. another way to check fusible link is to pull onthe wire and see if it stretches(if you know where to pull). also check grounds. failing this, go back and recheck fuses. did you check all fuses or just replaced the alt fuse bc it was obvious? good luck. :)

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Zumtizzle;1856781 said:
Off the battery to the fuse box, inside that wire is a fuseable link, might need to cut it and put a new one in.

how sure are you that that fusible link exists, have you had to replace it or had a problm with it before? the only reason i ask is bc if you are only going based off the service manual/wiring diagrams and haven't actually found it in the car it may not actually be there. sometimes a service manual or wiring diagram says fusible link but it is actually a pacific fuse(those big box fuses like the alt and main etc). not saying your wrong just curious bc i havent actually looked at that particular circuit on my car yet.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I have had somthing similar happen, it was the battery terminals. They looked tight, the kinda felt tight, but they werent, and there was some corosion on the posts. Clean them real good, and reinstall them or get new terminals.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check the little blue or white wire that goes from fuse box to battery. Can look connected but not be. It's also the main power wire for the car.

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
I will clean terminals, i already wiggled my fuses but i will wiggle some more ;), i will google fusible links because i had no idea what they were 2 min ago, and i will defintely check the blue or white power wire cuz that seems probable. ANNNNNND I shall get back to you guys! thanks

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
it was the blue wire from battery, somehow the wire on the inside was split, but the insulation was not....but anyways cool! haha

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Just for reference. if your getting power inside, your battery is good. your cables & terminals are good, your fuses are good but all you hear is the relay click & no start. get underneath, lightly bang the starter with a wrench or something while trying to start. feel the starter, if its extremely hot, change your starter, its shorting out from inside.