not normal boost

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
So i purchased a titan 3 inch down pipe. i got it on my car but left it as open dp. when i went out and drove and i boosted i would hit around 1.2 bar which is where i hit fuel cut. what is wierd about this is i am running no boost controller and have an 11psi wastegate spring. why am i boosting so much? shouldnt it stop boosting at 11psi and not 16 or so?

P.S. i had no bung on the turbo to hook up the line from the wastegate to the turbo, so i just put it post TB on one of the vaccum bungs. dont know if this could be causeing it.

SLO-MK3

Not on the 1jz bandwagon
Nov 4, 2006
Plumas Lake, CA
That is exactly whats causing this. The ic system creates a psi drop in the charged air, so the manifold will see less pressure than the turbo is actaully producing. The wastgate line should be connected to the compressor housing for the 11psi spring to open when the turbo creates 11psi.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
89turboguy said:
P.S. i had no bung on the turbo to hook up the line from the wastegate to the turbo, so i just put it post TB on one of the vaccum bungs. dont know if this could be causeing it.

It was a long-awaited mystery until I read this statement...then that said it all. :)

Turbo line not seeing WG = Boooooooooooooost until FCO. :D

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
89turboguy said:
i dont want to try to drill a bung into the turbo so is there any other options

You can tap into one of the IC pipes connected to the turbo if you really don't want to drill the turbo. Make sure it's as close to the compressor as possible though, the problem is your reference being at the end of the IC system as mentioned. Personally I'd just suck it up and drill the turbo.