Not Getting Spark, JDM 2JZ-GTE

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I'm trying to troubleshoot a Aristo non-VVTI 2JZ-GTE swap that was just put into a SC300. The car has a new Dr. Tweak harness, but everything else is completely 100% bone stock. The motor was last started almost a year ago while in a MA70 chassis.

The motor cranks for days, and is receiving fuel, but there is zero spark. The OBDI codes from the ECU read; 14, 47, and 78.

So far I've just looked over the wiring, made sure the crank sensor was connected, and the double checked the grounds. So far, all the connections look good, and I tested out the ignitor on my Supra to make sure it works.

Next time I get a chance to look over the car, I'll check to make sure the crank sensor and cam sensor are functioning.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to try?

Also, can someone identify these two plugs on the harness?

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought if either the cam or crank sensors are out the motor wont get fuel AND spark.

I'm also having a no spark issue on my 1jz. no codes tho...

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
mikejza70;1941489 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought if either the cam or crank sensors are out the motor wont get fuel AND spark.

I'm also having a no spark issue on my 1jz. no codes tho...

You might be right Mike. I don't suspect my sensors to be the problem, but I'll be checking them anyway to make sure. It is probably a wiring or ground issue in my case.

It definitely looks like its getting fuel though.

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
Ok we'll about a month and a half ago I finished up my harness and I was also getting a code 14 and 78. Code 14 is the igf signal wire from igniter to Ecu pin 58 I rewired it and still had the same code come to find that the pin was very loose and was not getting a good connection on the Ecu so I had to tighten the pin give that a try once I fixed my code 14 code 78 went away.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/engine_codes/obd1_codes.html

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
If it is still messing up when I get home on July 2nd then I will bring my 2J Supra over and we can compare wires. I know it is a different car, but it is the same motor.

jesse_rc1991

May 29, 2012
austin
if your SURE your getting fuel, then I would check your powers and ground at the ign. coil. then move to the ignitor. just because it works on your supra it still leaves the chance your wiring in the sc300 is faulty. the way the electrical diagram looks on a usdm 2jz the ignition coils are constantly grounded and the pcm controls the hot side. careful though when testing I would say stay away from test lights.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
jesse_rc1991;1942100 said:
if your SURE your getting fuel, then I would check your powers and ground at the ign. coil. then move to the ignitor. just because it works on your supra it still leaves the chance your wiring in the sc300 is faulty. the way the electrical diagram looks on a usdm 2jz the ignition coils are constantly grounded and the pcm controls the hot side. careful though when testing I would say stay away from test lights.

It was probably something minor being overlooked, after making some very minor adjustments the car started getting spark again. There were also some fuel issues to address, but that's also taken care of now. All that's left now is to finish up a few things, and to have a new exhaust fabricated.