not bhg, but having some of the symptoms,,bad turbo??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My point is instead of jumping all over the place try thinking about the issue and working through and eliminating possible causes, may as well try a different rear view mirror as it "might" be that ;)

Turbo coolant bypass is one of the easier things to test and a couple of days running will either confirm/deny it as the cause then he can move on from there.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
You have the car that blew water all over at the SP dyno day right? was that the first time this all occured? Or were you trying to dyno a car that had all these problems before hand? That day I thought the coolant looked awfully oilly. Hopefully you can pinpoint the problem.

also if you do what IJ said, I would change the oil first so you get the water you have in the crankcase out of there. Before you know it you will have a bhg and rod knock...

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
IJ.;1115150 said:
My point is instead of jumping all over the place try thinking about the issue and working through and eliminating possible causes, may as well try a different rear view mirror as it "might" be that ;)

Turbo coolant bypass is one of the easier things to test and a couple of days running will either confirm/deny it as the cause then he can move on from there.

IJ

you definitely are one of the few that really know whats really going on, but if the turbo is not the cause, he really shouldn't drive the car with water in the oil. just my opinion.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
IJ.;1115168 said:
Dave: Agreed 100% but I didn't see him mention water in the oil in his original post?

He says there's water/oil in the catch can and that it's using coolant.

Maybe this is incorrect thinking but his catch can is getting oil from the Crankcase ventilation correct? I would think if the catch can has water in it, it is inevitable that his oil has water in it.

maybe it wouldn't though. I would just recomend the OP is very careful driving this car around until the cause is pinpointed.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Condensation/water/oil/crap in a catch can is pretty normal Dave, if he reported coolant in the Pan or under the Oil cap I'd suggest passive tests and NOT run the engine at all.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
ok, i just changed the oil in the car cause if there was water/condenstion i know that could end up bad... the oil look alright when i drained, just dark brown. IJ. iam going to try your suggestion believe me.. im just in a tight pinch cause im moving this morning to Indy. as soon as i get settled in im going to try all these suggestions. i just knew fresh oil was a must and its all i had time for. as for the coolant lose, it seems to no be losing NEARLY as much as before, i think before it still just had alot of air pockets we didn't get out. i'v been talking with jeff (boost lee) he said when hes CT turbo started going bad he had the same problems, fould spark plugs, loss of coolant, and he had the milky crap in the oil. he replaced his turbo and problem was solved. and my car has the exact same symptoms. iv done compression tests and the compressions are all good. only thing that makes since to me is the turbo. last time i had BHG my oil turned completly green from coolant and my water pump also went bad. i dont have any of those symptoms. im not a stupid person, some times theres just reasons as to why i cant imediatly jump on your suggestions. life happens you know.