Norwegian rustbucket: 7MGE -> 7MGTE Matt Black

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
So this is my story:
Bought the car back in 2008 i think. Original NA car, sold as new in Norway back in 1987.
The clutch was gone when i bought it, easy enough fix.
Got a 7mgte engine swap in late 2009, later that year (June 09) i blw the turbo.

I was a 21yr old IT-guy, with no car knowlegde and absolutly no engine/turbo knowledge. The car "ran" with a blow turbo out that year, lucky me there was no permanent damage.
So by 2010 i got a garage with a couple of other guys, with some more knowledge then me. This helped me get the supra progress somewhat going.
By 2011 i had changed all piping and checked everything except the turbo, i just could not understand that the turbo would just break like that.

2012: New turbo, engine re assambeled and fired up for the first time since 2010. This was my first Win. Within 2012 i got an idea of what i wanted to do: Remove the plastic around the car, weld it smooth and paint the car matt black.
That job has taken me about 3 years, including welding rust in the back of the car, fixing a lot of other "tiny" stuff. When the roads is covered in salt water 5months of the year it will leave a mark in the not so impressive japanese steel. its amazing how small job takes up so much time in the end.

Plans ahead right now:
Megasquirt and engine tuning.
Enjoying it when summer arrives.

Here is some pictures of the progress over the years:
New turbo is in
pAwt3A3.jpg
Welding shut some moulding
1tCK0EY.jpg
Some sanding, welding and cleaing
3sAMxb4.jpg
J5U6Wm8.jpg
Some fiber plastics ready for sanding
XSxeCVD.jpg
ag4xaws.jpg
MAXN5eF.jpg

And how it is looking right about now, with welding mostly done and paint finished. There was some plastic waiting to get mounted here:
rdEtbQJ.jpg

Last edited:

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
I like it! I honestly was/am thinking about welding the holes shut on mine, but not smoothing them out. I like the body line, it serves to accentuate the 80's lines IMO.

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
the reason i did it was the cost of new molding... but i kinda regret it. Its not something thats easily reversed. If i ever wanna sell the car, it might be harder due to the customization.

Last edited:

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Depends on who the buyer is. I mean one of the OP's here who freak out at the mention of NON OEM PARTS OMG........probably wont buy. People who appreciate the car and the hobby as one which reflects the owners personality and appreciate it.....yep. I don't plan to fill mine, or rather mold the doors.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Nice job.

It looks a little weird to me, being so used to the normal.
Have you thought about putting sideskirts on? I think they might compliment the smooth doors nicely.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Yep. IMO I think a flat version of ice blue pearl (OEM color on mine), would look real nice. PERHAPS some flares.....IDK. Function built.

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
Yeah. Im gonna make it work first, power and handeling. Then we will see about looks, painting, wheels etc.

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
Have rebuild all the original calipers with new gaskets and grease from Toyota Norway. New rotors, e-brake and pads.
Looks good and guess it will work as good as the original break ever has.

While under the rear wheelarech i started pokeing some tiny rustplaces, only to unveil a largeass hole. Started my shitty repair.

New rotors, pads and caliper rebuild.
GXFLErI.jpg

Rust hole under the Leftside wheelarch:
fB7jLws.jpg

Last edited: