North Wa & BC Caravan Thread: Thursday JULY 4 to PACNW 2013

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
So, I know its early but I dont see it hurting to start planning for nationals. I know the event starts friday but I am going to put the 10+ hours of driving behind me on the Thursday the 4th of July.

Heres my google route, https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q...=DR1IUaGHMo3wigKFxYGwCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Dane on facebook mentioned meeting at exit 230 on the I-5. This might be a good point for any canadians and anyone coming off the ferries. I think maybe somewhere in Bellevue might be good to meet up for those in Seattle or surrounding areas. As to where else we should stop, I guess that depends on whos coming and where they are at along the way. For any canadians, Im sorry but legally I am not allowed to carry anything that does not belong to me across the boarder (nexus rules) so if there is anything youd like me to take in my truck, youll have to give it to me in the US.

So for now I'll post up the offical timeline for anyone wanting to caravan on Thursday July 4th. Of course this will change as we get closer to the date but we need everyone on the same page so lets get this figured out! If we want to get into Boise earlier or later we can fine tune this as we go.

Heres the plan that will put us in Boise around 5pm:

6am-7am: Meet at exit 230 off the I-5 at the Ihop for breakfast

7am-8:15am: Head south to Bellevue meet up spot: TBD

8:45am-1pm: Drive from Bellevue to where the 82 and 84 meet to connect with the oregon caravan. There looks to be a gas station on Col Jordan Rd off the 84 a couple miles after the 82 merge point

1pm-5pm: Continue on toward Boise and the its pool party time. Or 4th fireworks cruise.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Hey, I'm Dane on Facebook. That plan sounds great. My wife and I will have to load up our two dogs in my car that morning, so it will probably be best for us to meet at the IHOP closer to 7 vs 6 am on the 4th if that is convenient for everyone else.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Did someone mention fireworks!? The GF and I will be meeting up at the TBD Bellevue location, anyone have a good idea of where to meet in Bellevue? I'm not very familiar with that area or I'd suggest one.

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
that's my issue too, I know Bellevue is a good location, I just don't know the spot haha.

So Dave youre thinking more like leave at 6? The ihop is only 1 hour south, I was going to leave at 5

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
The 4th of July fireworks. Unless they've done away with it due to budget cuts. Back to the topic at hand, we are driving down to Boise right now, and we decided to drive Canyon Road along the Yakima river from Ellensburg to Yakima. Very pretty drive compared to the interstate. Would you guys be down to taking that slight detour vs staying on the freeway the whole time? It might add 10 or 15 minutes to the whole journey, but I think it is worth it.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Pyro15D;1930787 said:
The 4th of July fireworks. Unless they've done away with it due to budget cuts. Back to the topic at hand, we are driving down to Boise right now, and we decided to drive Canyon Road along the Yakima river from Ellensburg to Yakima. Very pretty drive compared to the interstate. Would you guys be down to taking that slight detour vs staying on the freeway the whole time? It might add 10 or 15 minutes to the whole journey, but I think it is worth it.

Once we meet up, I will follow the supra in front of me sir... that is until I start hearing banjo's play that song from deliverance, then you're on your own!

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Hahaha, well it shouldn't be like that. Canyon Road is off exit 109 on I-90 by the Buzz Inn Steakhouse. It is around 30 miles long and will spit you out on I-82. It is a twisty road that follows the Yakima River and is pretty sweet, especially since we would be able to show off our cars to the river rafters below. The bad part is, the speed limit is 45. Anyway, let me know if that is something you all want to do.

Rich64N

Oct 28, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Pyro15D;1931618 said:
Hahaha, well it shouldn't be like that. Canyon Road is off exit 109 on I-90 by the Buzz Inn Steakhouse. It is around 30 miles long and will spit you out on I-82. It is a twisty road that follows the Yakima River and is pretty sweet, especially since we would be able to show off our cars to the river rafters below. The bad part is, the speed limit is 45. Anyway, let me know if that is something you all want to do.

I do WA-821/Canyon Road 4-5 times/year. Basically there wasn't enough room to build the Interstate in the Canyon, so it went over several mountain ridges (Manastash) instead, so Canyon Road is ~ 5 miles shorter than the Interstate, but 5-15 minutes more time and much more fun. But I'll only drive it in daylight. In the winter I'll drive it as it avoids the nasty ice on Manastash Ridge. There is one BAD curve that can send you into some rocks - I'll try to note and post the mile marker next time I take this route - you expect 90*approaching it, and it is like 140* - near Roza Dam at the top of a climb. Cough, 45mph? Seriously, this is a place where you have fun in the curves at 35-45mph.

I'm thinking there might be 2 caravans to Boise, one on Thur July 4, another on Friday July 5 for folks that have family July 4 events in the metro areas.

Was talking to some folks about I-84 near La Grande OR, a week ago. Around 75% of us had been pulled over there = speed trap. I was 63 in a 60 (warning only).

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Rich64N;1932169 said:
I do WA-821/Canyon Road 4-5 times/year. Basically there wasn't enough room to build the Interstate in the Canyon, so it went over several mountain ridges (Manastash) instead, so Canyon Road is ~ 5 miles shorter than the Interstate, but 5-15 minutes more time and much more fun. But I'll only drive it in daylight. In the winter I'll drive it as it avoids the nasty ice on Manastash Ridge. There is one BAD curve that can send you into some rocks - I'll try to note and post the mile marker next time I take this route - you expect 90*approaching it, and it is like 140* - near Roza Dam at the top of a climb. Cough, 45mph? Seriously, this is a place where you have fun in the curves at 35-45mph.

I'm thinking there might be 2 caravans to Boise, one on Thur July 4, another on Friday July 5 for folks that have family July 4 events in the metro areas.

Was talking to some folks about I-84 near La Grande OR, a week ago. Around 75% of us had been pulled over there = speed trap. I was 63 in a 60 (warning only).

I actually like the sound of a July 5th caravan as that will give me the 4th with the family and it will start my day in Tacoma as well and save me about an hour on the commute to Belleview or where ever I meet up with that caravan.

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I defiantly didn't think the drive on the 4th would be for everyone. As for the detour, that's fine by me I just don't want to be in charge of leading the way through it. Im pretty much planning on following my google map so if someone knows where theyre going that would be great haha

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Well, if need be, I can lead the drive down for the 4th. I just need to know where all the stops are for meeting people (exit numbers). I'll be bringing a few tools and fluids to prepare for any unforseen breakdowns as well. I might bring my radar detector too. I don't plan on really hauling ass or driving like an asshole though, because this will be the first major trip in the car since I got it and rebuilt it.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Just wondering if you guys are still wanting to go through with this. I'm replacing the rod bearings, center driveshaft carrier bearing, power steering rack, and hopefully fixing the cruise control to get this ready to go the 1,000+ miles that this trip will be. If not I'll still be going, just in the 4runner or Tundra.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Damn. Well, I have a Albert-built 60-1 ct26 I am wanting to sell. I bought a bb boss jr turbo, so I don't need the ct26 anymore. Seriously has less than 50 miles on it since Albert built it. If it would help him out, I'll part with it for a pretty cheap price.