Noob wanting a Supra!

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
I'm a Toyota fan. Had a 7th hen Celica GT, LOVED it, but I had to sell it :( Currently riding around in an '07 Fusion, but I want a something better!

I am a but up in the air when it comes to the different engine designations for the MKIII and MKIV, and need help narrowing down which body style I want. Could someone help me out?

Xbl GT: IK frythan

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
MKIII had the 7m. MKIV had the 2jz. they both have their reputations. As for bodystyle there were very minimal changes in the MKIII pre 89 and post 89. tail lights being the biggest difference. the MKIV was pretty much unchanged from 93-98.

I like the MKIII body lines by far the best, but the JZ motor family is my taste so I did a motor swap. many others have performed that as well. good luck. Id say for about $10k you can build a hell of a MK3 with what ever motor you like. they are great project cars, and a pleasure to work on.

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
What's the major difference between a 7m and 2jz? As far as I can tell they're practically the same as cars as size and performance...

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
frythan;1905671 said:
What's the major difference between a 7m and 2jz? As far as I can tell they're practically the same as cars as size and performance.

The 7M is an old truck engine thats prone to head gasket failures and rod knock and will require being "built" if you want it to be somewhat reliable and make power...

The 2JZ is a newer and improved design and is more reliable and capable of making good power without having to "build" the motor first.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
IRACEMYCOPCAR;1905717 said:
The 7M is an old truck engine thats prone to head gasket failures and rod knock and will require being "built" if you want it to be somewhat reliable and make power...

The 2JZ is a newer and improved design and is more reliable and capable of making good power without having to "build" the motor first.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

There are pleanty of people out there who have run the 7M with over 400whp and didn't touch the bottom end reliably. I think you're giving the 7M a worse rep than it deserves.

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
I don't know if, financially, I could keep the Supra. Only 19 working minimum wage, parents are splitting and mom needs a reliable car. Might get another Celica or a focus or something as a daily, mostly because I'm in Utah. Snow. Bleh.

You got to know what every Supra owners knows. Supras are a money pit. You will always be putting money into the car. Got to remember this is a 20+ year old car. Old cars come with old problems unless you get lucky and buy a Supra with a PO that actually cared to maintain the car.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
IRACEMYCOPCAR;1905717 said:

The 7m is only prone to rod knock if antifreeze swaps with your oil, and eats away at the crank bearings.

frythan

Aug 11, 2012
Clearfield Utah
So what I'm hearing, is buy a MKIV, and get or checked out before, or buy a MKIII with no engine, and buy a badass 7M or a 2JZ, and replace anything that looks like it COULD go bad soon?

I mean, if I do by one, I'm gonna make it my "f*** yo Honda" car. And with a MUCH nicer interior that's for certain.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Supraguy7M;1906690 said:
The 7m is only prone to rod knock if antifreeze swaps with your oil, and eats away at the crank bearings.

Or ran low on oil... But they are great engines. They just require maintenance and care.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2