Noob Question About Downpipe.

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
Im A Noob On Having A Turbo Car This Would Be My First. The Guy That I Bought MK3 Supra From Try To Take The Turbo Off By Sawing The Downpipe. The Question Is Can I Get It Welded Or Should I Buy A New Downpipe?

Im About To Start On Putting The Head Gasket In Tommorow And I Know Thats What I Gotta Be Foused On, Im Ready.

Thanks For Your Time.

Pic Of The Half Sawed Downpipe>

06-08-09_1801.jpg

sorry its a razor phone pic. blurry

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
id get a new one, especially if you have some extra money laying around. you are going to want to upgrade it later anyway. why spend money to fix it then get a new one in a month...i say get a new one now and "save" money

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
That looks funny... Iam curious is the elbow welded to the turbo if not why would he try to cut the elbow to take the turbo off??

BGood

Jan 1, 2008
Green Lane
Also, that is cast iron, and is harder to weld, would cost more than just welding steel due to having to heat up/ cool down the part prior and post welding.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
7mgte1988;1339799 said:
That looks funny... Iam curious is the elbow welded to the turbo if not why would he try to cut the elbow to take the turbo off??

Nuts are prolly stripped.

As for the DP rayall01 pointed out, I have that one and unless your a do it yourself her I would advise the BIC version. The flange wasn't true on mine(still sealed thouh:biglaugh:), it didn't quite mate to my turbo, and my first run I hit 15psi(stock WG Spring) because it didn't let my WG open, had to take it off and do more grinding.

Just thought I would post this because since they are small problems without a aircompressor and die grinder it'd be a really hassel.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN

smokemkevo

May 28, 2009
Yea I Prolly Will Go Ahead And Buy The Downpipe With The Elbow Built In. I Have No Welder Or Anything. Im Not Sure If He Was Trying To Take The Turbo Off But Thats What I Thought. He Took Off The Catalytic Converter Also.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
dumbo;1339892 said:
Nuts are prolly stripped.

As for the DP rayall01 pointed out, I have that one and unless your a do it yourself her I would advise the BIC version. The flange wasn't true on mine(still sealed thouh:biglaugh:), it didn't quite mate to my turbo, and my first run I hit 15psi(stock WG Spring) because it didn't let my WG open, had to take it off and do more grinding.

Just thought I would post this because since they are small problems without a aircompressor and die grinder it'd be a really hassel.

I wasn't saying he should get that one particularly, just using that as a quick to find example of what I was talking about.