noob-like question??

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Supracentral said:
The vast majority of the people on Supraforums don't own a Supra. Not a MKI, MKII, MKIII or a MKIV. The chaos over there has little or nothing to do with MKIV owners. There were just over 11,000 MKIV's ever built, and there are over 29,000 users accounts over there.

Most of the MKIV owners I've met don't really give a shit. Some do, and it's based upon seeing stuff like this thread:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33655

Which is, quite honestly an embarrasment to Supra's in general.
Ownage.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
gotcha. i thought you were talking about the 50 dollar paint job thread. :rofl:

oh wait, it is. nvm. aight peace :chicken:

btw, I agree with SC

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Supracentral said:
And by the way, anyone who calls a MKIV an "over priced jellybean" has obviously never driven one...

I understand quite well that the majority of SF members do not own Supras, and my comments don't apply to the. I've seen some "big name" MK4 owners talking trash and those are the people I'm talking about.

And no, I have never driven a Mk4, but my comment of "overpriced jellybean" still stands as it was a joke, just like I'll gladly call most mk3s piggys. My trash talking is always playful, if you haven't noticed

And btw if my posts of today dont make sense,it's b/c I'm functioning on no sleep and you should take what I say with a grain of salt, lol

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
trucker said:
why is a clean, well executed paint job considered an embarassment to a supra or any car for that matter?

This is really one of those "if you have to ask you probably won't understand" items.. However I'll try to reply.

Here's a story that helps me get the point across:

I got pulled over (speeding of course) on my way back from Florida during the Thanksgiving holiday in Christine (1995 MKIV Hardtop). The cop got my licence, registration and insurance card. He walked back to his car. 5 mintues later he comes up to my window. Here's the conversation:

Cop: "Sir, do you know what year this vehicle is?"

Me: "1995"

Cop: "Yea, the registration and insurance card say that, but I'm having a hard time believing it. This car looks new."

Me: "I take good care of it, not bad for over 160,000 miles, eh?..."

The cop shakes his head in amazement, spends a few seconds checking VIN tags and then goes back to his car to finish writing the ticket.

(This is a true story. DreamerTheresa was in the car with me and heard the whole thing.)

I love my MKIV's. Once you drive one, you understand why people go nuts for them. It's an amazing machine. It's a supercar that you can actually own without being a millionaire. The one thing that I developed the MKIV's shortly after driving one for the first time was respect for the car.

I treat it well and accept nothing less than the best for it.

If you talk to MKIV owners, you'll find that true amongst most of them.

I always felt that way about my MKIII's after I bought the first one. I don't treat them like common cars.

When I see someone doing some half-assed paintjob on one, it makes me cringe. Yea, it can look "ok".

I've seen this stuff in person and it does not stand up to professional automotive paint. Not in clarity, not in shine, not in hardness. It's still a spraybomb paintjob, just done with more care and effort. It's fine for your beatup daily driver that you want to look better.

It's not fine for a Supra IMO. These are not "common" cars. You've taken a beatufully engineered high tech Japanese GT car, and slapped a gallon of Rustoleum on it. If you can't see the problem there, then I probably can't explain it to you.

I've known some of the "jerk" MKIV owners you guys are talking about. They are out there. Once when I was defending the MKIII to one of them (I was working on one of mine at the time), he came out with this comment:

"I know what's wrong with your MKIII. If it doesn't have some PVC pipe, parts from Home Depot, pieces of an Isuzu truck, or some spraypaint on the body, there's something wrong with it. Yours is just way too clean..."

I called him an asshat for that comment and told him to go find someone else to bother. But there's a grain of truth there. The MKIII owner has the reputation for not being to afford his car, and doing some goofy rigged up crap to keep it running. And a lot of people have transferred that onto the car itself.

You can look at the ROTM and ROTY cars and see how amazing a MKIII can be. Every single one of the MKIII's in that group I would be proud to own. And there are MKIII's around here that I wouldn't give you $500 for.

This $50 paint job crap is, by definition a "goofy rigged up" paintjob. It's not the way to treat a car that's a cut above. Treat the Civic like that, it's an econobox and deserves it.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
A good example of a douchebag Mk2 owner (can ya believe it?) popped up on cs.com recently.

There was a NEAR mint 1985 on Ebay for like $2500 or something. Only visible things wrong with the car was a broken turn signal, dent in the drivers fender and then there's a "engine noise, could be a piston". Beyond that, the car was immaculate. Interior was beautiful, body was rust free.

After the car didn't sell on ebay, it showed up in the FS section of cs.com where we tried to tell the owner that not many people are interested in paying $2500 for a car that has a blown engine, especially an 85 Supra which hasn't exactly skyrocketed in value yet. We trying to be helpful and were pretty amiable about it.

Well the owner gets very defensive very quickly, and keeps throwing out the "rare" word, as if it's a Shelby GT500 or something
p459649_1.gif

The thread ends up being like 10 pages long, and the owner flies off the handle with "fuck yous" and "you're fucking stupid" blah blah blah on a forum dedicated to the damn car.

Oh well, glad that car is now in the hands of someone who is not a douche.

I know there are toolbag owners in each generational community, but beings that the Mk4 Supra is a little more well known (due to the damn stupid movies and all that) they get a bigger spotlight and more attention.

Everyone has a different definition of pride in their vehicle. I would be very proud of a rusty, primered shitbox Supra that ran 10s in the 1/4, and I'd also be very proud of my 60k mile mint condition Sup.

(again, I think my posts arent making sense, I really need to go to bed, wtf)

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
that being said, i wonder why the black mk4 at vegas this year with the poorly installed widebody kit, and rattle can flat black paint was getting more respect than the perfect blue mk2, with its fresh professional paint?

i think the percieved quality of the paint is not really the issue...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Tanya said:
I know there are toolbag owners in each generational community, but beings that the Mk4 Supra is a little more well known (due to the damn stupid movies and all that) they get a bigger spotlight and more attention.
Good. I don't want teenage old boys revving at me in their scions all day long.

well... they do now already anyway..:nono:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
And just for the hell of it, here's what a 12 year old car with 160,000 miles on it looks like when treated with respect:

newtint.jpg

And here's an older pic of one of my MKIII's. This pic was taken when this car was 11 years old and had a little over 130,000 miles on it:

FrontRight.jpg

Respect folks. Your Supra deserves it.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
While we're still off topic of the original thread, you know what really grinds my gears?

People that don't drive their supras because they're scared to put miles on their "pieces of history." Having a daily driver that's more practical than a Supra is one thing, but if I had a dollar for everytime I've seen "I don't want to put miles on my car. or I never drive it hard" >:| I know you can do whatever you want with your property, but what's the point of the car if you don't enjoy driving it?

Drive it, damnit! Toyota already has supras in museums to store for history. I've seen them.

(this post wasn't directed at anyone here in specific.)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
trucker said:
that being said, i wonder why the black mk4 at vegas this year with the poorly installed widebody kit, and rattle can flat black paint was getting more respect than the perfect blue mk2, with its fresh professional paint?

i think the percieved quality of the paint is not really the issue...

heh, the mk2 is an ugly 80s japbox, silly man :icon_razz

check out this 150k mile 1984...
click me

Got to be one of the better "high mileage" Mk2s I've seen around.
1315827228.213637402.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1315827225.213637402.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
OneJoeZee said:
While we're still off topic of the original thread, you know what really grinds my gears?

People that don't drive their supras because they're scared to put miles on their "pieces of history." Having a daily driver that's more practical than a Supra is one thing, but if I had a dollar for everytime I've seen "I don't want to put miles on my car. or I never drive it hard" >:| I know you can do whatever you want with your property, but what's the point of the car if you don't enjoy driving it?

Drive it, damnit! Toyota already has supras in museums to store for history. I've seen them.

(this post wasn't directed at anyone here in specific.)
I drive my car every day :) I also redline it every day on this little stretch of road just before I get to work too... 0-100mph, then the car cover goes on.

I need to stop that, I'm going to get a big ticket.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
OneJoeZee said:

that has always aggravated me to, with Supras and with muscle cars. I am very hard on my shitboxes, because why? They're shitboxes. But even if I had a mint Mk2 I would still drive it 10-15k miles a year and not let it sit in a garage or storage somewhere letting the engine seals dry up, blah.

A lot of low mileage (20-50k mile) Mk2s have been popping up on ebay, autotrader and supratraderonline lately, but I would be very wary about the condition of stock items. Not driving a car for many years is just as bad as running it into the ground. Engine seals shrink, timing belt cracks, etc, etc.

Cars were made for a purpose, transportation. Their parts were made to move. There's no point in owning a car (IMO) to stare at it, to take people out to your garage and say "hey, check out this sexy car I never drive". If I wanted to stare at a car that never moves, I'll buy a model kit :biglaugh:

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
actually,i agree with you on that one onejoe

like i have said before, my fav supe at silv was the black mk3 with an ass load of rock chips, the dude gets it, the car was meant to be driven, and enjoyed.

nothing wrong with a perfectly perserved vehicle.. a few years ago there was a perfect YUGO still had original window stickers on the hot rod power tour

but it defied the very intention of a car....to be driven

garage queen anything sucks...kinna like trailered choppers

edit after tan's post

i guess it would make sense to keep your 2.5 million vitiman c orange hemi cuda in the garage.....but i doubt that any supra is going to attain that level of collectibility, too many of these guys afraid to drive them. think there will be a plentiful supply of clean mk4's around to keep prices "down"

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
mattjk said:
I drive my car every day :) I also redline it every day on this little stretch of road just before I get to work too... 0-100mph, then the car cover goes on.

I need to stop that, I'm going to get a big ticket.

thank you. that's all that really needs to be said.

look at matt's car... daily driver. clean as a whistle.

I drove my car hard everyday as well(hope kyle will do that same). I wasn't afraid to tell people who were interested in buying it "yeah, I see redline, fullboost, and WOT all the time."

This is the longest I've gone without driving a supra since I changed the engine earlier this year. =/ that will change soon!

If I won the lottery, I'd buy the lowest mileage 98 Supra I could find and rack up as many miles as I could. keeping it clean of course..

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
^since the topic is already off topic, I have a choice to make by the end of next year, either buy a new car so that I'm able to get places once I'm in the "real world" or dump all the money for a new car into the Supra and make it reliable and I'm looking at ditching the 7M if I go with completely fixing up the Supra, where'd you pick up a new 1J at?