Non Blown Head Gasket Replacement

rvermill

Apr 10, 2012
St. Louis
How much would it be to replace a non blown head gasket on a 1987 turbo? I want to get it replaced BEFORE it goes bad. I've babied my car and it only has 21K original miles on it but i want to get this done before i run into issues. Just curious on any cost estimates?

Thanks,

rvermill

Apr 10, 2012
St. Louis
How much to replace a non blown head gasket on a 1987 turbo? My engine only has 21K original miles and no issues but i want to get the head gasket replaced before i run into issues. Just curious on cost? I plan to have them replace the valve cover seals and hoses that may need to be replaced.

Thanks,

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I would ask the engine gurus about doing a head bolt retorque before tearing into a perfectly good engine. Last I heard it was kosher to torque the head down to 72 ft-lbs but I can't remember whether the factory gasket would handle it. Sounds like you are keeping it stock and as long as it doesn't overheat it should be ok.

The cost to replace a HG would be right around $1000-$1500 if done correctly. I know the dealers were charging ~$2500 to do it back in the day. The parts costs are low but the labor is high.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
It will cost the same as replacing a blown HG, as long as no other damage is done.
Just retorque and you should be fine for at least another 21k miles.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Exactly the same as replacing a blown head gasket. All of the same work needs to be done, though there should be less damage to repair in the process, so you'll lose less material from the mating surfaces that need to be milled.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I say this and I know alot will agree with me.....Why fix what isn't broken? I know it is good preventative maint.... but why mess with it if it isn't blown?! Only standing a chance then of messing something up. I say if it is running fine and you are not trying to get more boost into it, leave it alone. If it has 21k on the clock, and it's original, you have a long way to go before worrying about that a BHG. Just re-torque the gasket down a little further to around 70ish, and let it go. But to each his own. Like said above. At least 1500 for a really good job. That it mostly labor with a small cost towards the cheap OEM parts.

rvermill

Apr 10, 2012
St. Louis
Thanks all for the responses adn apologies for the double post. New to this forum. The car is completely stock except for the exhaust. The only problem with the engine is the valve cover seals are starting to go so i wanted to get them replaced them along with some hoses and figured while at it, get the head gasket replaced since it'll be most of the way there anyway. But sounds like i just need to get the bolts torqued down a bit and let it go at that. I'm not planning on modifying this car at all and am trying to keep close to stock and put as few miles on as possible so you're probably right..no need to fix what isn't broken.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Replacing the valve cover gaskets doesn't get you halfway to a HG job...
Replace the old rubber components and torque the headbolts and call it a day.