noisy valve train

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
I'm just wondering if anybody motor has a noisy valve train? I know its not rod knock because i have used the old screw driver trick to narrow down the noise is in the top part of the motor and the noise is there from idea to redline.I guess i am just overly paranoid but i don't like the fact that i can sit in the car when it ideas and hear the valves taping not loudly but i can still hear them. The car has been like this sence i got it and if i was smart i would have done a valve adjustment when i hid the headgasket but we live and learn.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
Yeah this is pretty normal for 7m's, sounds kind of like a sewing machine.

the only valve adjustment there is, is re-shimming it. The cam and shims wear over time and will cause this.

Note: We don't have a hydraulic valve train so there is nothing to take up slack as things wear.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
themadhatter;927817 said:
ok lets say every thing was perfect, no cam wear and perfectly shimmed how much noise should a 7m make?

My head has 6K miles on it....personally, i can barely hear the valve noise, i really have to key onto it.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Actually, I came online here looking for an answer to exactly the same sound :p I was pretty sure it was the shims, but wanted to be 100%. Any idea if it's something to be super worried about or any idea when to become super worried about it? I just did my clutch, flywheel, tranny, and rear subframe, so funds are lacking, but I want to do what's necessary to keep the engine running strong.

Also, when you do shims, do you need the whole head off or can you get through the valve cover?

Last edited:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Ok, after doing some searching on the forum, I found this little guy here...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46461&highlight=tick+valve

The video has the EXACT same noise as my car, so I'm assuming it's valve tick. Take a listen MadHatter and compare the noise. I guess the last question to be answered on my part is how hard is it to get to? Can you get in through the valve cover or you have to take off the head. If I have to take off the head, I may end up doing a lot more than just fixing the shims. Would be a prime opportunity for cams/valves/springs/etc.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
You dont need to take the head off. Ive read somewhere that you can even do it with the cams in, but im sure it would be 10x easier with the cams out.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
thats the noise but mines not that loud yet but if i don't reshim the valves i guess it will be lol I guess i'm just a perticuler person because that noise and the skeaky noise my speedo makes when its cold outside bug the hell out of me

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, mine's not as loud as that either. Again, any idea if it's something to be super worried about or any idea when to become super worried about it?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
radiod;928220 said:
Yeah, mine's not as loud as that either. Again, any idea if it's something to be super worried about or any idea when to become super worried about it?

its something you should budget for. You will gain a fair amount of power and its not terribly hard or expensive to do if you do it yourself, just time consuming. Keep in mind, the longer you wait...the more your cams can wear and chances you may have to replace them.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I can't see how you could do it with the cams in without damaging them, but on the bright side it takes about five minutes tops to get the cams out

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Dang...thanks for all the resources all :) Really appreciated. I should be getting this all fixed up next week ^_^.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Just thought I'd let you all know that the noise was the valves. 6 of them were out. Shims are ordered and it should be all good to go by midweek :)