Noises coming from power steering..

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
After the engine swap, the power steering is making some not so good sounds..

Can hear it pretty good, with/without turning the wheel. Fluid level is good, but it's got a lot of bubbles in the PS reservoir.

What can be causing it?

Thanks,
Scott

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Well, you're going to have to be more specific than that. Explain the noises.

Bubbles typically mean your fluid level is too low.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Most likely just some air if its just a whining sound. Bleed the system by going to lock for 3 sec then turn the other way to lock and hold for 3 sec and do it over and over. Check the fluid level after wards.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
One time while i had the motor out i installed the PS suction hose, then installed the motor, then put the belt on. This caused a kink in the suction hose. Creating noise.
Thats the first thing i thought of, when you said you just swapped the motor.
And you used ATF right?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
You said swap. You need to make sure that - if working with a 1j or 2j - that you are using either A.) Vacuum check valves or B.) A vacuum module from a TURBOCHARGED engine on the power steering assist.

If you use the NA vacuum module, you'll blow the diaphragm inside the module and introduce air into the PS system. I know this first hand. The car I have here in my possession just went through this problem.

Also, make sure you use ATF FLUID AND NOTHING ELSE.

scotty

Jun 30, 2009
Norway
scottnicholas.net
hvyman;1566039 said:
Most likely just some air if its just a whining sound. Bleed the system by going to lock for 3 sec then turn the other way to lock and hold for 3 sec and do it over and over. Check the fluid level after wards.
This worked perfect. :) Bleeded the system and refilled, all noises gone!

Thx for other good replies/suggestions :)