No vacuum after a cold start up?

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
most of the time now when i go to start up, my car has no vacuum (i have verified by unplugging vacuum hoses and boost gauge reads 0)..it takes 5 to 10 minutes for it to get vacuum...i don't know where to even start with this one...

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
please elaborate...the way i check for vacuum is by pulling all the vacuum hoses and see if any air is being sucked in and there is none anywhere (up until vacuum returns after about 5 minutes)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
There is a nipple on the back of the intake manifold. pull the vacuum hose off of it, and put your finger on the nipple to see if you can feel it. BTW when you pull that vacuum line off, the car should start to idle kinda odd.

Just in case, the car needs to be running for it to produce vacuum.

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
airhead04;1708716 said:
There is a nipple on the back of the intake manifold. pull the vacuum hose off of it, and put your finger on the nipple to see if you can feel it. BTW when you pull that vacuum line off, the car should start to idle kinda odd.

Just in case, the car needs to be running for it to produce vacuum.

LOL @ last part... i made sure to fire it up ...just bought the car like a month ago, new to this scene (don't suggest me to buy a honda, already got one) ha

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Well, weve had some interesting characters on here before. So I figured Id just throw it out there, just to be safe. lol

Anyways, the nipple im talking about is a prime source for vaccum, so fire her up, and check that port.

The problem Im seeing with no vacuum is, in order for a car to produce vacuum the pistons have to be moving etc. And your firing it up, so that means vacuum MUST be produced by the engine.

If you can rent a vacuum gauge tester from autozone and hook it to the port i was telling you. And give us your reading

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
yes gosh, im absolutely positively sure the engine is running...if i can hear my exhaust, hear the engine roar, and the car is moving it's running right? LOL

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

airhead04;1708720 said:
Well, weve had some interesting characters on here before. So I figured Id just throw it out there, just to be safe. lol

Anyways, the nipple im talking about is a prime source for vaccum, so fire her up, and check that port.

The problem Im seeing with no vacuum is, in order for a car to produce vacuum the pistons have to be moving etc. And your firing it up, so that means vacuum MUST be produced by the engine.

If you can rent a vacuum gauge tester from autozone and hook it to the port i was telling you. And give us your reading

thank you sir, ill follow up after testing procedures.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That isn't an engine vacuum line. It is ported vacuum. Meaning you have open the throttle plate. Vacuum can be found at the boost pressure sensor. I say that one because it is easy to see and access.

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
ok i think i finally routed the actual area...i seem to be getting my vacuum primarily from the power steering valve (?) does this part tend to go bad after a while and where can i get a hold of one?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You be seriously confused. With the engine idling the entire intake manifold is under vacuum. It has to be or the engine wouldn't run. Furthermore the short hose (big bolt) in the top photo of post 11 is the main vacuum source for most things on the engine, Also, the BOV hose is not ported.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Pull off the hose from the union (big bolt as you called it) this should have a large amount of vacuum. If the problem is you are not getting vacuum to the boost pressure sensor check for binds, kinks, or a crimped hose between it and the intake vacuum source.

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
metaphysico;1713096 said:
Pull off the hose from the union (big bolt as you called it) this should have a large amount of vacuum. If the problem is you are not getting vacuum to the boost pressure sensor check for binds, kinks, or a crimped hose between it and the intake vacuum source.
thanks for the suggestion! just found out i got a sticky BOV...sorry for my ignorance, newbie here...LOL