No start. Help!

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
Last night I was driving home from my girlfriends house and my 86.5 started sputtering, then died. After some diagnostics I determined that the alternator was shot. So this morning I went to Autozone, they tested my old alternator and the tester said it was bad. So I picked up an alternator. I then replaced the alternator, without disconnecting the battery (I'm a dumb ass). As I was removing the original I accidentally Grounded out the power wire to the alternator.

Now, after installing the new alternator, The battery has power but It wont start. The headlights will come on, but there are no dash lights. I have already checked all of the fuses in the fusebox by the battery. So, what could be the problem?

thank you,
Chris

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Might want to take a closer look at the 100 Amp ALT fuse in that engine bay box.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
It may look ok, but look REALLY close because it's probably not.

Note: The fuse is bolted into the fuse block from the bottom, you'll have to dissassemble the fuse box to get to the bolts to get it out.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
Ok, I replaced that fuseable link. Now I have interior lights and the car will crank over. But its not starting. I will occasionally start and putter around 500rpm, then die again. When it does manage to start I can't rev it, as soon as I try it just dies. Any ideas?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Is your battery fully charged? (i.e. did you charge it after you replaced the alternator).

Check for ECU codes...the CEL does not have to be on for stored codes to be present.