No start after setting a while.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
My car has set for a bit and the batt. had died. So I got a replacement and went to start it and nothing. Checked codes and it's throwing a code 12. I looked it up on TSRM and it says CPS or ECU. I had the ECU unplugged for a good amount of time before I tried to start it. Can the CPS just go bad from setting for a period of time? Car started fine when I parked it where it sets now. Thanks for any input. Bill.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
how long was it sitting? put new gas in it? check the plugs?
are you getting fuel and spark?

wiggle the wires for the MAF, CPS, IAC, TPS, etc and see if that works.

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
It's been sitting for about a month. It does nothing at all when I turn the key to start it. No cranking or anything. I'll have to try your above listed methods when I get home. (at work right now). Thanks Bill.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i bet its the cps wiring. do what katu said and have someone wiggle the cps connector while you try to start the car.
-pete

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Ok if I do this and it works what can I do to remedy the problem? Will I have to get a new wiring harness? Thanks Bill.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
a new wiring harness is a good idea if your current harness is in bad shape. but what you can do is wire in a new 4pin connector that you can find at a local autoparts store. i bought one used for a trailer hitch.
-pete

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Pete, It should still turn over even if the CPS wiring is bad.

billwert;1174796 said:
It's been sitting for about a month. It does nothing at all when I turn the key to start it. No cranking or anything. I'll have to try your above listed methods when I get home. (at work right now). Thanks Bill.

You sure you pluged all the ecu connectors in all the way? And I know it'll sound stupid (since it's "new") but check the battery voltage as well. Oh and of course fuses too.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
trydrew;1175039 said:
Pete, It should still turn over even if the CPS wiring is bad.

i dont claim to be an electrical expert, but at least with my car, those symptoms were exactly as i experienced. i would be able to start and drive with no problem. and then i would go to start the car somewhere and nothing happened, didnt even try to turn over. then id wiggle the cps wires and it would start right up... no problem
then i rewired the cps and the problem was gone.
im not positive this is the problem... but at least for me it appears as it is so

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
sneakypete;1175109 said:
...and then i would go to start the car somewhere and nothing happened, didnt even try to turn over. then id wiggle the cps wires and it would start right up...

You were a victim of questionable cause logical fallacy. As previously stated it's not possible for bad CPS wiring (or a bad CPS for that matter) to prevent cranking...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
What do you hear when you turn the key and in what key positions do you hear what?

Is it a stick or auto? Try push starting if it is a stick.

The starter/starter solenoid could be stuck. Try turning the engine over via the crank pulley bolt (it's a 19mm bolt and turn clockwise) and then see if it'll turn over on its own.

noel

Uchiha Member
May 5, 2008
Miami, Florida, United States
jump start the battery and check the cables!!! i hope this WORks! :icon_bigg.....if this fails try hitting the starter!! ...if that fails im not sure if u have a mtx if so push start it !

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Sorry I haven't been on. I have not made time to get out to my car again yet. But when I did turn the key to the on position everything worked as it should. Then when I when to start it I could hear a click but that was all. Nothing else happened. The car is an auto and I think maybe the starter/starter solenoid could be stuck. That would just be my luck to as I have the car in an old barn cus the tranny only has 2nd. and 3rd. gear. I was storing it there til I can have time and funds to figure out what is wrong with the tranny. I had planned on starting it everyonce in a while to make sure things were working properly. Looks like I failed at that part. :( Thanks for the replies guys I'll see what I can do tomorrow if given the time.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
billwert;1175983 said:
Sorry I haven't been on. I have not made time to get out to my car again yet. But when I did turn the key to the on position everything worked as it should. Then when I when to start it I could hear a click but that was all. Nothing else happened. The car is an auto and I think maybe the starter/starter solenoid could be stuck. That would just be my luck to as I have the car in an old barn cus the tranny only has 2nd. and 3rd. gear. I was storing it there til I can have time and funds to figure out what is wrong with the tranny. I had planned on starting it everyonce in a while to make sure things were working properly. Looks like I failed at that part. :( Thanks for the replies guys I'll see what I can do tomorrow if given the time.

It does sound an awful lot like the starter contacts if you say it clicks when at the "start" position. Good thing the starter is easy to get at with the tranny(&motor) out. ;)

Best of luck.