no start after re-torquing head and changing cam seals.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
Ok I just retorqued the head and changed the cam seals after I just replaced the hg on my 7m. I forgot to re-align the cps so I pulled that out and did that and still no start, it cranks and sometimes gives me a small backfire. I have a code 51 and that's it. That is the tps or ac circuit, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the no start or not. The spark plug valley had oil in it also, so I pulled the plugs and soaked all the oil up and cleaned the plugs and wires, no start. I'm wondering if its the plugs or wires that aren't firing now I have changed them twice with in 3 months I have owned the car... I made sure its not 180 off and its all on time. Need help any suggestions please, I have searched as much as I could before I posted also so I don't get flamed for that. Thanks, sorry so long just want to give you guys all the details.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
kotu100;1318442 said:
sounds like timing, how did you set yours?

0 degrees on the crank, made sure I was on compression stroke, then the cam pulleys lined up at the notches, re-aligned the cps and slid it in so the bolt is in the middle of the flange for adjustment both ways...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
did you make sure to compensate for the helical gears on the CPS?

also check the fuses just in case.

oh and if the cam gears came off make sure the dowel pins are in the correct position.

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
kotu100;1318457 said:
did you make sure to compensate for the helical gears on the CPS?

also check the fuses just in case.

oh and if the cam gears came off make sure the dowel pins are in the correct position.

The cam gears were off and I actually lost one of the pins but I got a new from toyota and put it in, there are 3 holes for the pins I put the pins in the middle hole on both gears is that right? And I don't know if I did compensate for the helical gears to be honest I just did what cynusx1.net said to do and aligned it right I know for a fact and replaced the o-ring. How do you compensate for the helical gear just to make sure I did it right?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
when you put the CPS in, turn the gear back just a lil bit, so when it goes in the gears will turn to thwere they're supossed to be. put the engine to TDC on cyl 1, then take the cps cover off and make sure its positioned correctly. like this
p1318495_1.jpg

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
kotu100;1318495 said:
when you put the CPS in, turn the gear back just a lil bit, so when it goes in the gears will turn to thwere they're supossed to be. put the engine to TDC on cyl 1, then take the cps cover off and make sure its positioned correctly. like this
p1318538_1.jpg

Ok I didn't do that so I'm probably one notch off, and put the cps in first then turn it to tdc or does it matter?

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
the dowel pin on the exhaust cam was wrong, running perfect!! Thanks for your help man, hopefully see ya at a meet sometime planning on going to a few this summer.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
glad i could help out, had a feeling that was the problem, thats why i couldnt get my car started for 6 months...

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
kotu100;1318951 said:
glad i could help out, had a feeling that was the problem, thats why i couldnt get my car started for 6 months...

Yeah its the last thing I would think of.