no start after HG swap

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
well here is the background HG was replaced everything all plugged back in started it ran pretty ruff and stalled saw figured timing was prob a little off there was a leak from my turbo drain so had enough for one day pushed it into the garage and went to work.

Next day fix turbo drain try to start no go looked at match marks at TDC and cams seemed a little off (was re-assembled to match marks I had drawn on the cams/crank/belt) so mucked about getting the cams to line up better (were what looked to me at TDC on the cams when the Crank was at 5deg) looked at pictures of how to set CPS got it started again running on 3 (at a guess) stalled tweeked CPS ran on what felt like 5 tryed tweeking a little and didn't help was late so left it.

Skip to today got a mate to come over and bring a compression tester and timing light to help out. To start timing light didnt work haha so that was already a bad start. so tried starting - no go got him to double check CPS cam geats and crank to make sure im not crazy.

After a bit more mucking around checked cold compression was the same on 1-2 both around 155

got it started again ruff as again checked temp on exhaust runners 1-3 cold 4-5-6 warm/hot (wasnt running long)

checked spark on no1 was there checked both fuel pumps there both working

to change the head I removed the oil pressure sensor wire, water temp wire, injector plugs, CPS plug, coil Plug and one earth off the mainifold (aftermarket ecu/loom) and they are all back on im very tiered and most likley missing something silly so some suggestions would be fantastic and below should be some pics of the current positions of the cam gears, crank pully and CPS

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1914546_1.jpg

p1914546_2.jpg

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
yea I labeled them although out of the loom 2-3 look like they could be the wrong way around but ive tried it both ways. my ecu is batch fire

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You verify that the no1 piston is at tdc compresson and not just go off the crank pulley.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
I have I just forgot to put a full stop in my reply. But will check again just to be sure

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
right checked again and is defiantly at tdc everything like the photo's and still nothing used an ohm meter and checked the cps as per the tsrm 165 spec is 140-180

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
also just checked injector duty cycle via my display dash its ranging from 0.6% to 1% is that too low? (after recent retune the cold start was very poor)

im running 1200cc injectors though

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Even if it is isn't it ment to be on the match mark nit so far off?

It still runs like crap on that setting but at least it starts

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
alright got it running pretty good now idle is a little lower than before the hg change but it does idle also smooth through the rpm's my tuner said he will need to re-set static timing on my ecu (not stock) also had a little issue with trying to do the timing as with my cams I have quite a lope at idle so the readings bounce around quite alot.

most part its sitting on 10 but it jumps either side I no longer have the diagnostic plug all removed with my new ecu going to take it to the tuners now that ive got it close tomorrow and get them to double check/fine tune I have a video I will put up soon of me attempting timing