No reverse lights

hockysa

Man... it's just no end with this car. I wish I had a JZA70 bodyloom I could have used.

Anyways had a 1986.5 Aus Spec MA70 installed a 1JZ not too long ago and just noticed that the reverse lights dont work and also the battery light and brake light(maybe reverse) symbols are illuminated.

Any known common causes?

ajcma70

Feb 28, 2009
OZ
Go the same issue with my 86.5 MA70, reverse lights don't work. The car is a standard auto box, had a look on electrical diagram to maybe follow to a solenoid or switch, can't seem to find it at all although manual box has a reverse switch.

Take a look at wiring diagram might be there somewhere...

hockysa;1400335 said:
Man... it's just no end with this car. I wish I had a JZA70 bodyloom I could have used.

Anyways had a 1986.5 Aus Spec MA70 installed a 1JZ not too long ago and just noticed that the reverse lights dont work and also the battery light and brake light(maybe reverse) symbols are illuminated.

Any known common causes?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
hockysa;1400335 said:

Any known common causes?

What have you checked so far?

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Woah! I have the same problem! (86.5 auto with 7mgte swap) Apparently my a340e isnt out of a supra though, which may be my problem - although when the 7mge was in there the lights did work (except you had to push the shifter a bit more towards P for them to actually light up) but ever since the swap, they dont work...

if someone finds a solution let us know please! I'm sick of not being able to see where Im reversing at night...

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
im not looking into the diagrams right now. maybe later, but do it simple, check fuses. check bulbs. check for any power what so ever. missed connection during the swap? i know there are a couple wires on the transmission i think a ground and 2 other wires a yellow and orange. make sure thats good. hell check source power to why where doing all of this.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Lol....just installed a new deck, an amp, and a sub and developed this problem the same day...."tail or backup light"? is on and so is the battery light.

Anyone else add electrical stuff or already have alot more power draw than stock? Maybe if we know what we've all got in common we might find the problem

also mine is an 87 factory turbo 5 speed.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
well as far as mine goes, all the fuses are fine and Im positive we haven't missed a connector, unless there's a hidden one somewhere.
Oh, where is the one on the transmission though? As I can't see it...

Also, give power directly to the reverse bulb sockets and they light up, so I know that much is fine.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
i just looked at mine thats layen down in my garage there is a its right on top of the tranny i will take a pic and download it if you need me to...? You should be able to get it though......

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
MA70_Powa;1402184 said:
cheers for the tsrm link, but an actual pic would be sweet too :)

does this help...? :naughty:

p1402225_1.jpg

p1402225_2.jpg

JonnyRedline

Lickalotapus
Sep 2, 2005
Supra's Interior
There are two wires on the manual trans. yellow and black iirc....I believe they have to connect to the Neutral Start Switch under the clutch pedal, which is also two wires. Jeff Lange knows how to do this.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
JonnyRedline;1402247 said:
There are two wires on the manual trans. yellow and black iirc....I believe they have to connect to the Neutral Start Switch under the clutch pedal, which is also two wires. Jeff Lange knows how to do this.

What doesn't JEFF know ??? know there's a question.....Jeff's prob the only guy who knows that too.

my problem on my old 87 N/A Auto was that my spoiler light works when the tail lights don't and when the tail lights work my spoiler light doesn't. The check light comes is off until i touch my brakes then it stays on in the car..

On my 87 Turbo 5speed the light is on but only cause i don't have my spoiler hooked up i think.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
that pic does help, yes! I assume the auto one is in the same spot. I'll have to check on my car over the weekend, see if I can find it lol