no power to fuel pump!!!!

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
so my car died when i came to a light and it would not restart, so i had to push it off the road and and started trouble shooting it. checked all fuses and the are good, jump fp and b+ and no dice there.
so i have the 12v mod and i thaught it might be the bosh relay, so i ran power strait to the pump and i heard the pump turn on, so i had to put 12v to the relay wire to get it to work so i could drive it home.

not sure what to check to fix it.

Last edited:

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
That relay is gone, I have a bosh relay in the rear of the car as I stated:) I had to use two aligator clips attached to a wire and then connected on end to the 12v battery conection and them one to the +fuel pump wire but not the one to the fuel pump, the other one that turns on the bosh relay.
What would cause the +fuel pump wire to stop working?

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I was able to take out the open relay from my 87 (not very easy) but can not get the one out of the 90 to save my life!!!
I have spent 3hr's up side down trying to get it out, with no luck!!!

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
CyFi6;1688817 said:
Does the tach jitter around when you crank it?

Tach does not jitter at all.

But after I put in the new open relay the safc does not power on!! I checked out all the wire on the ecu and the look fine, I used a volt meter to see if there was power to the ecu and it only showed 0.36v that is also what it shows to the fuel pump wire in the back.
All fuses look good, I checked the ones in the kick pannels and in the engine bay. Am I missing any other fuses?
I can't seem to find the fusible links it shows in the tsrm.

Thanks for helping me out guys, this is getting frustrating, and it's my DD!!

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
IJ.;1688987 said:
No Tach is a good sign of no signal from the CPS....

Crazy, the thing that throws me off there is when I jumped the wire to get the fuel pump running and get the car home the tach was working, just when I crank it I have never seen it move or jitter.
Can the cps failing cause there to be no power to the ecu?
And could the ignition switch have anything to do with this?

Thanks for the fast replies!!!!

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
IJ.;1689008 said:
You need a crank signal before the ECU will send a pump signal, NO a faulty CPS won't power down the ECU, have you verified any of this with a multimeter?

I have been using a multimeter to see if I'm getting 12v to the fuel pump and the ecu, but that's it.
So I should be getting power to the ecu from the big brown and red wire even if the cps is bad?

Matt
I didn't think the fuel pump had anything to do with the 1j..... But your right, It is good info to have when trying to help me fix this!