no power to ecu

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Hey guys I accidentally connected b+ and te1 when going to check codes and now I don't have any power to my ecu. It popped the efi fuse and that's it I checked the rest of the fuses in the kick panel and they're all fine could I have fried my ecu? It was running fine until this. What do you guys think I need to do to fix this? Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited:

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Hey guys I checked for voltages and this is what I got at the ecu
B+ 1.5v-1.59v
batt -.4v
+B1 11.31v
IGSwitch 0v
e1 0v
e01 0v
e02 0v
m-rel -.2v - -.4v
FC -.2v
FP 4.85v

I'm not getting any power in the diagnostic box all fuses are fine and are flowing power. Efi main clicks when turned to on. Where would a good place to go from here be?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Are those voltage with the key on?

I would double check all your fuses.

Igsw should have 12v with key on.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
This is with the key on and just checked again on the fuses they look to be good and seem to be seating well. I don't understand why I'm getting negative voltage on a couple and the voltage disparity on B+ and +B1. What's the keep alive?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you hook the leads up backwards it will be negitive.

Ecu will not turn on if the igsw doesn't give it a signal.

How are you checking the fuses? By looking at then or with a volt meter?

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
I checked them all with a volt meter. When I checked all of the ecu pins I did it with the same leads each time positive to the pins and negative to ground. Should it have been done differently on m-rel and batt?

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
I wanted to add that the ignition switch is turning everything else on in the on position such as all the other check lights on the dash just not the cel. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. What would my next step be? Trace the wire through the loom checking for burned spots or would it be a component?

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Update: changed the circuit opening relay now I'm getting
B+ 11.3v
batt 0v
+B1 11.31v
IGSwitch 0v
m-rel -.02v
FC 0v
FP 4.85v
I'm getting fuel pressure and cel but no spark now. Still no power to batt ignition switch and m-rel and still no power through diagnostic box what so ever.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
If it wasn't that are there any terminals in the diagnostic box that could have been shorted that could have caused this instead?

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
maxburn;2013353 said:
What's the keep alive?

Your ECU needs to remember things. Things it learns (idle, spark, and fuel control) and things that happen (faults and codes). This data will be lost when the ignition switch is turned off unless the box is kept continually supplied with 12 volts. Such connections are generically known as Keep Alive. Toyota calls it BATT because it's connected directly to the battery through the EFI fuse (hence "resetting" of the ECU by pulling that fuse) and because, well, they're Toyota. Anyway, you appear to be BATT-less...

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
:icon_biggLooks like it's was a combination of a bad fuse block causing an 8 volt drop and a loose pin or 2 on the ecu plugs. Glad to have my car back on the road:icon_bigg