No idle and sputter need help

ricoboost

Jun 20, 2007
quebec
now i need some help i cant figure that one out
here is the problem first startup on my new setup that i built since 2 years now
cant get the car to idle, if its start it run for couple of sec then die or if i give it gas and rev it to over 1000 rpm i can get it to run but sputter a little but rev quick til 5000 and over
my cps is at 0 for now, the tps is set as by tsrm, no code but when i start it with gas pedal i get code 51 but turn off as soon as i let the gas and then the car die
i have check voltage of the tps at the ecu and its all good

my mod

fresh rebuilt 7mgte on probe .04 over, 1.2mm mhg, map ecu 1, maf remove, port and polish head, 274 cam, 1mm over ferrea valve, full 3in exhaust, full 2.5 intercooler no leak,850 cc injector, twin walbro,battery relocated to trunk.

Last edited:

ricoboost

Jun 20, 2007
quebec
cant get the car to idle to set the timming i have tried to set it at 10 with the crank at 10 and lined the needle IN the tps (not the hole like shown in the tsrm) but that do nothing the car still run like crap with the cps lined a 10 at the crank or at 0

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It's the cps.
I really need to put this answer in a file on my desktop, so that I can copy and paste it every time I see this type of thread.

1. Remove the adjustment bolt that holds the cps in.
2. Rotate the cps in either direction to a point just past its normal adjustment range.
3.Try to start it.
4. If no luck, then adjust the cps again, but in the opposite direction, just past its normal adjustment range.
5.Try to start it
6. Once you've determined which way the adjustment needed to go, pull the cps out, and rotate one tooth in the opposite direction, and reinstall the adjustment bolt.
7. If you rotated clockwise to get it running, that means you need to install the cps one tooth couterclockwise, or viseversa.
7. Post back to this thread to thank me

Granted, I could be wrong, but....
well.....nah. I'm not wrong....

:)

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Any error codes? Large boost pipe disconnected under the turbo? Good fuel pressure?

It does sound like a timing issue

ricoboost

Jun 20, 2007
quebec
no engine code
no piping loose or disconnected
fuel is at 38psi
gonna try to remove and reinstall timing belt an redo the timing but im out of town for a while so i gonna try that during Christmas vacation

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
OK, ok...MAYBE I was wrong...
:)

Make sure the afm wiring is plugged in tight to the afm

If so, try unplugging your tps, and see if it runs better.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Ah yes, just read that in your sig.
Then all bets are off. The ecu itself(or its wiring) could be causing the problem.