No First Gear R154

BoostPsiKPA

Feb 18, 2015
NY
Hey guys,

I have a R154 bolt to my 1JZ on about 10 PSI on a 67MM.

I am having no way of getting my R154 in 1st gear. So, it was rebuilt by me back in 2011 and in four years, I have put about 300 miles on it. No issues, it feels great.

I turned up the boost and changed out the stock clutch to a ACT six puck, which is super grabby. I was driving and all of a sudden I put the car in first, released the clutch and it grinds and pops out.

I rebuilt it years ago and replaced all bearings, synchros and put a new Toyota thrust washer.

I can put the car in first gear, but releasing the clutch, it will grind and pop out. All other gears work fine. If the car is running, it will not go fully into first but if I turn the car off, put the trans in first and then start the car on the clutch pedal and release the pedal, it will grind and pop out of gear.

I did my searches and I came up with three things.

Thrust washer?
I replaced it new less than 300 miles. Could it really have went out already?

Shift fork?

I did not replace the 1-2 fork as it was not around from Driftmotion like the 3-4 fork. Could a broken one cause this?

Hub?
I liked how it looked when I took it apart with no rounding or busted teeth so I didn't replace it. I read that this could cause it.

Synchros?

It is brand new and worked fine prior so I doubt I would have it go bad.

I have yet to drain the oil and see what kind of metal it is. Aluminum would be the forks and steel could be something else but I will have to see when I drain the oil.

What do you guys think it could be? I am only thinking shift fork or thrust washer but that washer is new and I was pulling into the driveway when it happen so no clutch dumping there.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What's te picture of?

Sounds like thrust washer. If it was shift fork you would have lost 1 and 2.

BoostPsiKPA

Feb 18, 2015
NY
Anyone have the part numbers for the tailshaft and main shaft bearings? I can get the Toyota numbers but they are Nachi bearings, so anyone have those numbers?

Tried the number off the bearing and it doesn't work.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
You might look at getting one of the "upgrade" thrust washers from Aaron at driftmotion. Had one put in mine with billet forks, new syncros/bearings/seals etc. last year. I would say there is something else going on with your R154 though if that was a brand new Toyota thrust washer, those shouldn't be grenading like that even with the 6 puck clutch and especially if you were just pulling in/out of the driveway.

BoostPsiKPA

Feb 18, 2015
NY
Oh no. It just showed up then. It was used and abused after the rebuild with new bearings and synchros. The synchros and teeth on the hubs look great, like new actually.

MC washer is on the way from Aaron at DM.

BoostPsiKPA

Feb 18, 2015
NY
I added a radius to the top of the pin for the washer, it fits better and holds into the slot with a lot more material.