newly machined block has small crack

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I finally got all my parts to the machine shop and presto 7 weeks later the machine work is done. I picked it up last night. Today I had a closer look at the deck. They didn't shave all the blemishes out, I can still see spots behind the ring sealing surface. I'm not sure of the smoothness of the surface either.
Then I notice a damn crack from one of the head bolt holes. I paid for this block to be mag'd. I had called weeks ago about the condition of the block and crank because I had a line on a good core and had some doubt about this one. I was told it checked out fine.
Today I went to see one of the machinists. He said it's fine those blocks do that alot, but I'm not comfortable with that. I'm kinda pissed and I'm not sure what to do, any opinions?
Here's some pics

Attachments

• IMG_4763.JPG
    IMG_4763.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4766.JPG
    IMG_4766.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 63

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like you could catch your fingernail on those machine marks.

i had a block that looked just like that with a MHG that didnt seal up.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
the machine marks don't feel as bad as they look. I was however expecting a much smoother finish. I told them I was going to use a MLS head gasket.
I had talked to a few local guys with supras about where to get the work done and this shop kept coming up so I tried them.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tig: Sadly that crack is quite common!

I'd suggest a good wash with paint thinner before assembly then using some 242 Loctite on the stud when you install it to help seal it.

I'm with Lagged I think it's a little too rough to use with a MHG as is sorry.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Ok, thanks
What do you think about the dark spot on the block. should I have it machined out and have them try to get a smoother finish? It looks like it's just behind the gasket fire ring

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Thanks again, I'm greatful for this site and the people who are willing to spend some free time and share their knowledge. Where would we newbies be without it.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I had the exact same crack on my block. I didn't properly prep my block for a MHG- I sanded + cometic + brake quiet. Its lasted a year now through a lot of abuse.. I'm impressed, but my point is, I havn't had any problems yet.