New

_Darth_vaider_

Aug 27, 2014
California
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and supra, just wanted to say hi. I go by Darth but my real name is berny, got my 86.5 a few months back, I'm longing it so far, had a few problems with the injectors but got it taken care of. Wanted to know if that is a common problem?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
It's almost 30 years old. You are gonna have one problem after another, and it's gonna spend more time in the garage then on the road more then likely. Do you have plenty of money to throw at it?

_Darth_vaider_

Aug 27, 2014
California
Meh not tons but a decent about.
It hasn't agreed up since, it's driven fantastically for the last the months, oh I should mention that it had an engine swap about 500 miles ago .

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
What engine? Was it rebuilt? If it was then you are probably gonna be alright. Metal head gasket, or felpro type? What kind of head bolts? Do you plan on any mods?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
My advice is have a car fund because something will always come up. The head gaskets are notorious for blowing. But as long as the head is torqued down to spec's you should be good.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
A little more but a way better engine. The engines are about the same price. The difference would be in the wiring harness, motor mounts, intercooler, and bell housing. Probably a couple thousand more then 7mgte swap. If you do your own wiring you save $800 dollars but will be a big headache.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
If you've got the money a lot of people would say yes. It kinda depends on your goals, that and figuring in the cost of going 7mgte compared to just going 2jz.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
_Darth_vaider_;2023934 said:
Is it really worth the money in your opinion?

That's a question for you to answer. If you don't have the money stay non turbo. If you are gonna go gte make sure you have it fully rebuilt. It will save you a lot of headaches in the future. If you have the money and want to do a engine swap I would consider a jz swap.

Timeless6270

Jun 27, 2011
Lost Causes, NM
The ge engine will last a much longer time in my experience. I have also had 2 gte's, and as long as I wasn't trying to get more power out of it, they were awesome. The wiring tends to get old and brittle, and breaks. If you go with the gte swap, look for a turbo wiring harness that is in good shape and hasn't been hacked to death. Good luck with which ever engine you choose to go with.