New wheels & suspension achieved.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Hi guys. Been a while since I posted anything, although I do browse from time to time. When I got my '92 1JZ, the suspension was in desperate need of an overhaul- sat way too low, there was no dampening or rebound of any kind going on, etc. Thanks to 2 people deciding to crash into the car, suspension & other needs have been waiting. Well, finally got something done. Next up are A/C fix, speedo fix (reading 15% low), and exhaust overhaul. After that, the to-do list gets into pretty minor issues.

Here are some photos. Please excuse the missing lug nuts. The nuts on the Supra were not the right kind for the 5Zigen wheels, so the mechanic cobbled together some spares to get me home. I received a new set from Discount Tire Direct today & they will be installed tomorrow after work, before I get the alignment done.

Before, 16" MKIV NA wheels (PM me if you might like to buy them), Intrax lowering springs (WAY too low), and 100% blown shocks:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After, 18" 5Zigen FN01R-C (Hot Version) wheels, Eibach springs, and Bilstein shocks:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I wish I had taken ride height measurements beforehand. Hard to compare with different wheels & tires, but the front end looks about the same height. Rear is definitely sitting higher, which is a good thing in this case. Frankly, comparing the stance before & after, I think the "after" shot wins, hands down. Far more aggressive. Looked like a dog dragging its ass on the ground before, and now it looks like a big cat getting ready to pounce. (I may be biased)

Obligatory wheel well shots. Front:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And rear:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I like the way it sits right now. As long as the rear doesn't settle more than maybe 1/8"-1/4", I'll be pleased as punch.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
tErbo b00st;1840217 said:
Love the color. I usually don't like MKIV wheels, But it looks way better in the before shot.

Why did the rear raise? That looks dumb

I think this:
"Intrax lowering springs (WAY too low), and 100% blown shocks"

and he changed to this:
"Eibach springs, and Bilstein shocks"

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
In those last two pics, are those wheels missing lug nuts? Its hard to tell in them.

As far as the wheels and height goes, it looks great!
-AM3

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
seoul4korea;1840222 said:
I think this:
"Intrax lowering springs (WAY too low), and 100% blown shocks"

and he changed to this:
"Eibach springs, and Bilstein shocks"

Bingo. Thanks.

As for it looking dumb, it looked way dumber when I had to come to a complete STOP, then crawl over every speed bump I encountered in an effort not to rip that HKS grapefruit launcher right off the tail end of my exhaust. (That's also going to be replaced with something far less noticeable in the near future... one project at a time) Besides, these pics were taken less than 48 hours after the new parts were installed, so things will settle some over the next few weeks.

And I'm OK with you thinking my suspension geometry looks dumb, actually. We all want & like different things. I'm not a fan of the slammed look, or the PITA it is to handle speed bumps, curbs, potholes, etc., etc. when slammed. Just a personal preference.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Another MkIII;1840403 said:
In those last two pics, are those wheels missing lug nuts? Its hard to tell in them.

As far as the wheels and height goes, it looks great!
-AM3

Thanks, man. As for the lug nuts, I addressed it in the original post, but I'll expand on it. The Supra had what I imagine are OEM or OEM style lug nuts previously. The kind with the nearly flat bottoms. When I decided to swap those 5Zigens on, it never crossed my mind to think of the lug nuts. The 5Zigens need the tuner lug nuts with the rounded bottoms. The mechanic was nearly done with the car before he noticed the problem, and it took e a few days to get a new set of lug nuts online. In the meantime, he scraped together some spares- enough to put 3-4 on each wheel. Which was sufficient to get me home, so long as I wasn't planning to go drifting or autocrossing. Within 48 hours, new Gorilla lug nuts went on the car while the alignment was dialed in at another shop.

And, boy howdy, did the new alignment make a difference. Went to a high end shop in Tampa called Cars & Concepts that is known for their alignment prowess. A lot of car clubs' members will go there before trips to Deal's Gap & other twisty mountain roads to get their alignment dialed in. Took the poor tech over 3 hours to adjust everything, partially due to a lot of adjustment points being fairly well stuck in place. Guessing the alignment hadn't been adjusted in a while. Car tracks straight & true now, and cornering has definitely improved.

I'm sure the actual, functioning suspension parts have more to do with the cornering improvement than the alignment, but the 2 together have made a world of difference. I can now take speed bumps at reasonable speeds, I no longer feel every crack in the pavement like a ball peen hammer to my lower spine, and even the minor rise in ride height has been noticed by my arthritic back, making it easier to get in & out.

I forgot to take ride height measurements before, but I thing the front stayed darned near the same, while only the rear actually came up noticeably. I still can't enter or leave certain parking lots, etc. without scraping the front bumper on the pavement. Including the one where I work. Good thing the Supra isn't my daily driver.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
aloshan;1840178 said:
gorgeous color , thats my dream one day.

what color is that? teal?

TYVM! That is the factory teal. Car had been resprayed once when I got it, and the respray was close, but slightly darker. When I had the paint & body work done last year, I went back to the factory teal.