New Turbo!??

Sep 11, 2007
terrace b.c.
i just got my new boss series turbo from suprasport.com today. looks very nice, but there is no turbine spin whatsoever on either end. i didn't try to force it too hard but shouldn't it spin?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
It should spin easily... try adding some oil into the center housing maybe? I definitely would not force it

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
it should spin, you might want to give them a call. i wouldnt do anything to it until you have talked with them first.

Sep 11, 2007
terrace b.c.
i just talked to them, they said it's normal until it gets oil and warms up for the first time. it's a new thrust bearing design. so now i'm off to install a 60-1 on my soup!:biglaugh:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Thats weird, you'd think they would add a notice or something

Make sure you prime the turbo properly!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
if they say thats how its suppose to be, then i would believe them, but i would be pouring oil in that thing like a mofo before it ever got started... haha

and if it fails, then send it back to them and be like wtf. but i doubt the turbo would have made it all the way to your hands if it was truly "bad"

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
i would also be a little freaked out by that too. i dont know alot about how turbos are built, but maybe they just run really close tolerances or something.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
That thing should be spinning period. I have a Boss turbo and it's been rebuilt a couple of times and there is no reason it should do that. If there is no oil pressure or anything it will be really easy to turn the wheels. if you just put it on then tried to turn the wheel it's a little harder because it has oil pressure still, from my experience with this turbo. I also have the 60-1 wheel in mine too and love it.

But there is no reason that the turbo is not spinning freely with minimal effort. You can try and put it on your car but before you do you need to pour oil into the oil feed line, then pull the efi fuse and try and start the car in 5 time intervals twice so 10 times total. This is so you can give your starter a break.
I would be very weary about that turbo though.

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
I hope that this will explain why the wheels don't spin freely when cold. This is not ment as a sale pitch. This is only to help understand why in this thread.
"The new Model CT3B is a patented triple ball bearing duplex turbocharger. This triple ball bearing turbo runs a (DB) duplex pair of ceramic bearings on the compressor side to keep the bearings in preload.

Why preload bearings?

Bearings are preloaded for the following reasons:

Eliminate radial and axial play.
To reduce noise during operation.
To improve positioning accuracy.
To reduce the possibility of damage from vibratory loading.
Lessen the difference in contact angles between the balls and both inner and outer rings at very high speeds.
Prevent ball skidding under very high acceleration.
To increase life and axial capacity.

As stated in the Barden Corporations catalog -

“This configuration is suited for most applications having good alignment of bearing housings and shafts it is also preferable where high moment rigidity is required, and where the shaft runs warmer than the housing. (Figs. 3a and 3b).Inner ring abutting faces of DB duplex bearings are relief ground. When they are mounted and the inner rings clamped together, the load lines (lines through points of ball contact) converge outside the bearings, resulting in increased moment rigidity.”

This, combined with a floating turbine bearing under preload, allows the turbo to keep all three bearings in light preload when the turbine shaft grows due to increasing exhaust temperatures .This allows the Model CT3B turbocharger to be more stable at high temperatures where it operates best. Making this model CT3B turbochargers triple ceramic ball bearing center pack able to take the largest thrust loads and disbursing the loads which increases the spool characteristics and allow the turbo to build boost much faster than a conventional thrust bearing turbocharger allowing the motor to make more power at a lower RPM or run a larger turbo without jeopardizing the spool characteristics you like. All of these CT3B turbochargers are fully serviceable rebuildable and can also be upgraded." end quote
Greg

Sep 11, 2007
terrace b.c.
it turns out that the exhaust housing is too small for the wheel. so i took the turbo off and sending it back t get fixed. looking for a loaner supra, anyone?