New Turbo Elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
This is more of a question regarding the neccessarity of this item. Obviously its better to have better air flow with an aftermarket elbow, but how neccessary is it to have? My whole exhaust is done to my liking and im about ready to invest in a good boost controller, should I get a new elbow first? Just looking at the thing, it looks so thrashed over the years nevermind for better flow, just replacing it for the reason its been heated up so many countless times in its 17 year life. Any concequences for moving forward and NOT getting rid of the stock elbow?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes! The stock elbow is so restrictive and that creates heat, especially when you start pushing more boost. I had a full 3" exhaust with the stock elbow and could hit about 9psi, I put on my JBL elbow and hit 11psi, could hear the wastegate ALOT more and underhood temps went down a whoooole lot. Get one!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I felt a big difference as soon as mine was on. If you don't have the cash, have your stock one ported. It won't be as good as the LIPP elbow but is quite a bit less expesive. My friend ported one of my old ones for $50. Just do it, you won't be dissapointed.

leecheater

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Necessary, no. Good idea, definitely. I've seen people put boost controllers on stock exhaust. The gains aren't nearly as impressive as if the mods were done properly, but so long as you've taken care of the catalytics it shouldn't hurt the car.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The full flow elbow is a great upgrade...removes a major restriction in the exhaust. But, you will also need a 3" down pipe and 3" CAT back to get any real gain. Consider a single piece 3" down pipe...BIC and Cooleze both make nice pipes ;)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Can anyone point me to a place that sells aftermarket elbows. Preferably, something cheaper than the Lipp which seems to have a going rate of $170.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The LIPP elbow is really nice. It is well made. An integrated elbow is better than a bolt on elbow, but for elbows, that LIPP piece is sweet.

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
My whole exhaust is done up to that point, its just something i skipped in that stage, but i dont want to move on to higher upgrades without a new elbow. I know an integrated elbow is a bit better but I'm not really looking for that I want it to be simple. I just feel moving into boost controller, IC and fuel system upgrades is moving too far without getting something done with that elbow, considering i am moving at a fast pace aswell.

Caplax40

Grand Tourer
Feb 12, 2006
Boise, ID
IMO, don't get a new elbow. Get a BIC DP that eliminates that heavy piece of crap. The gains are tremendous and worth every penny. Sell your existing downpipe to help cut losses/expenses and be done with it.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Even if you got a new elbow that was either from LIPP or it was hand ported, you would have another restriction in the downpipe. To get the best gains you will need to buy a downpipe with an integrated elbow that way it's completely 3" ;).

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I like having a seperate elbow. Its so much easier to unbolt the downpipe from the elbow than it is to unbolt it from the turbo.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
aye mate said:
I like having a seperate elbow. Its so much easier to unbolt the downpipe from the elbow than it is to unbolt it from the turbo.

Yep! You nailed it ;)

The difference in HP gain between a single piece and full 3" elbow to 3" down pipe is negligible. The difference when you have to take it off is huge!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
That's true, man that bottom bolt on the engine side is a complete bitch to get off!

The only thing I was getting at was just that the downpipe was 2.5" right after the elbow, but it increases back to 3" a little ways down. 3" off the elbow (aftermarket of course), 2.5" at downpipe, then 3" again.

It's completely up to you man, I know a lot of the aftermarket downpipes are like that, but there a few that I believe are 3" all the way (not sure on the brands).

Status
Not open for further replies.