New to moderating - warning, may get technical

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
So, I just got promoted on another site I belong to, and I've noticed a lot of stuff...like how I can see every PHP/SQL query since I last loaded a page. I'm also in charge of verifying anything that gets uploaded to our site content wise...making sure video is in a standard resolution, encoding, etc.

I'm wondering where to start. I've read through the staff forums there, and it's all mostly BS, bug reports, and future features to add. I mean...I know what I'm supposed to do, which essentially amounts to keeping the site, tracker, and forums clean. But what's a good way to go about it? I tried to move a thread the other day, and managed to disable access to that subforum for an entire user group. It got fixed in a few minutes, but that's the kind of stuff I want to avoid.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, first you need to figure out the difference between administrative features, like area setup / organization, and moderator functions, like editing a thread, profile, or moving threads.

Next, find out what software they are using, and create an account on the support forum for that software, they are *far* more likely to be able to help in a pinch.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Site's running gazelle, with some customizations. I'm not sure what, but that's what our admin told me over IRC. Honestly, there's only one or two staff PMs per week so far, and I seem to be getting the hang of it after that first rough patch. The toolbox only looks intimidating; I created a new usergroup and subforum without issue today, which took a bit of thought. But having admins on IRC helps quite a bit.