New Radiators?? opinions wanted

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Looks like I am in need of a new Rad. After pricing these in the Atlanta area
they were - Toyota $540 retail $420 wholesale , Pep Boys $240, Advance Auto parts $180 , Ebay a new KOYO alum. $310. As you can see there is
quite a range. Is the KOYO worth it? I Toyota is a known item but the most
expensive. What do you guys think? The car is a 87 Turbo 5spd.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
If the koyo was twice the price it would still be worth every cent in my opinion. I love my koyo radiator, my car car never runs over 195 degrees even when its 100 degrees outside and I'm boosting the crap out of it. My fans don't even run in the winter time, because the radiator is so efficent.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
gixxer750 said:
If the koyo was twice the price it would still be worth every cent in my opinion. I love my koyo radiator, my car car never runs over 195 degrees even when its 100 degrees outside and I'm boosting the crap out of it. My fans don't even run in the winter time, because the radiator is so efficent.

Thanks, Thats what I wanted to hear. Look like I will order the KOYO
as I will be doing some mods this spring and it would be good Insurance.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i believe that koyo radiator is a stock replacement.
if you're willing to spend a bit more, look for a koyo "RACE" radiator.

do you have a link to the item you are looking to buy?
that'll clarify pretty quick which one it is

N

Neodym

I don´t know how good the Koyo Radiators are , but I made very good experience with the Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator .

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
If you are paying $300 for a Koyo, and it's a stock replacement, you are getting ripped off.
Model number R0171 is the Race radiator, meant for the JZA70/1JZ. It can take a LITTLE bit of modifying to work [I think it has to do with getting it mounted perfect], but it's "the one you want" for better cooling for people who are upgrading and planning to put down some power.

You can get a "stock repalcement" Koyo on EBay for less than $150, if that's all you need.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
drunk_medic said:
If you are paying $300 for a Koyo, and it's a stock replacement, you are getting ripped off.
Model number R0171 is the Race radiator, meant for the JZA70/1JZ. It can take a LITTLE bit of modifying to work [I think it has to do with getting it mounted perfect], but it's "the one you want" for better cooling for people who are upgrading and planning to put down some power.

You can get a "stock repalcement" Koyo on EBay for less than $150, if that's all you need.

The Koyo rad. I am looking at is the aluminum race ver. check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KOYO-RACING-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-TOYOTA-86-92-SUPRA-JZA70_W0QQitemZ8020918300QQcategoryZ33602QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any fitment issues with this radiator or is a bolt in swap?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
See the model/part number? R0171. That is the one to get, if you want an upgraded radiator at a good price.

If you don't need an upgraded radiator and you are a penny-pincher, one of the stock replacement Koyos will do you fine.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
um, I got my koyo race on ebay for 325 shipped..... Hell of a deal if you ask me. And the thing is huge, about 3/4 of an inch thicker than a fluidyne...

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I have the Fluidyne, and agree the PWR is awesome looking and has tons of capacity.
There is one other choice, I think it's called CSF radiators, has a dual tube core, and one piece end tanks made of stamped aluminum welded to the core v/s the fabricated C' channel of the Fluidyne, Koyo and PWR types. (IT works just as well, and might even be stronger actually as the stamped unit has convolutions to add strength.)

IIRC, the CSF unit is about as thick as the PWR, fits better than my Fluidyne and was UNDER 200.00.

Do a quick search, I think HPF sells these, but they are on Ebay too IIRC.

If I ever need another radiator, I'd get this one in a hearbeat over my more expensive Fluidyne, the PWR or Koyo. (Stock is not even an option for my anymore.)

ma71supraturbo has this radiator. I'm sure if you give Jeff a call or email he can tell you where he bought it. I was impressed with the build quality, and how well it fit in the MK3. (My Fluidyne has gaps around the fan shroud, this one does not, it is flush, and the core is thicker than mine, end tanks are thicker, basicly it's about as thick as the PWR, but not nearly as expensive.)

Last edited: