new problem

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
ok so last night i started my car up and it idled fine but when i engaged the clutch it made a screeching noise and my rpms dropped below 500 and my headlights dimmed, the cel came on and it almost died. when i was driving everytime i shifted it would screech my rpms would drop way more than they should and i could hear it pop from backfiring. my headlights dimmed too. i figured that the pop was from the rpms dropping too much and having all the unburnt fuel. i just am not sure what could cause all of this to go on. thanks.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Could be your throwout bearing. Either way I would say something is binding clutch/tranny assembly. Possible crank walk I suppose but doubtful. Stock clutch and PP? Your lights are dimming because the alternator isn't spinning fast enough. I would pull the inspection cover at the front of the tranny and see if you can see anything.

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
ok i took it on a test drive this morning and it didnt do it anymore. could this be that it was really cold last night and everything was close to being frozen?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
dmiller;1479686 said:
ok i took it on a test drive this morning and it didnt do it anymore. could this be that it was really cold last night and everything was close to being frozen?

Maybe...How cold was really cold? Personally I would expect it to come back shortly but you never know.

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
Did you end up figuring this out? i had the same symptomatic reaction, however i was told it could be a vacuum leak.. did you ever try to listen to where the sound is coming from?

mine seems to be on the intake mani side closer the the ISCV area, or that's basically where it seems the loudest.

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Me[kk]A;1495289 said:
Did you end up figuring this out? i had the same symptomatic reaction, however i was told it could be a vacuum leak.. did you ever try to listen to where the sound is coming from?

mine seems to be on the intake mani side closer the the ISCV area, or that's basically where it seems the loudest.

it only did it the one time and hasnt done it since

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
^odd, mine sticks around.. in cold weather it screams, in the warmer weather we've had it initially is barely audible.. then as i drive it, it gets louder.. i will video tape this tomorrow..

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
Me[kk]A;1495630 said:
^odd, mine sticks around.. in cold weather it screams, in the warmer weather we've had it initially is barely audible.. then as i drive it, it gets louder.. i will video tape this tomorrow..

what?

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
Kevin;1495725 said:

my suspected vacuum leak... redid the intake manifold gasket on both ends, car still ran like crap with unsteady idle and kept cutting out, then i found a bad ground to the coil pack, redid that and car ran stellar..

for about 30 mins. A few spirited pushes of the pedal and all of a sudden i got the symptoms the OP of this thread did, sudden screech, car almost died but recovered, idle stumbled a bit.

My noise is along the intake mani side.. and only seems to affect the running of the car now at idle.. otherwise the car runs "fine" <-as fine as she currently is. On warmer days ive noticed the noise is barely audible until ive driven around turned her off and the let her cool down a bit..

some people have noted crankwalk as a cause for this? im hoping thats not the case?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
If you think it's a vacuum leak, grab a can of carb/intake cleaner and spray down your hoses,while the engine is running, while it's cold and see if the engine stumbles or dies. If it dies when you spray it....crank it back up and spray in the same place again. If it dies again, you might have found your leak.

My 2cents, Good luck