New owner, Timing questions.

SupraDood

May 26, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I recently got an 87 n/a, its my first supra.

When I got it it had been sitting for awhile so I changed all fluids (gas, oil, p/s, coolant)
replaced valvecover gaskets, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil, fuel pump,and battery.

I primed the engine to get oil pressure but the guage doesn't work.

I proceeded to start the engine and it went to 2500 rpm then died.

Keep in mind there is no intake so I rigged the maf to the throttle body and it idled at 1600 but didn't die.

But.....There is a knock coming for the top front portion near the cam gears.

I checked to see if there was oil getting to the cams and I am 85% sure there was.
There was some coming up but didn't seem like much.

So I considered it a cam/timing problem or a dry knock.

I do not believe it has anything to do with the bottom end (rod knock)

My questions are.....

Can a bad cam gear(s) cause a knock?
Can bad cam timing cause a knock?
Do the cam gears/ timing components have anything to do with the movement of the oil pump?
Could bad cam gear shim specs cause a knock?
How can I find information pertaining to how the cams, timing components, and oil pump are installed? (detailed)

Thanks and I hope I didn't just make a fool of myself.

P.S there were no metal shavings in the old oil.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Upper end knock could be a piston. Or a cam bearing. I have to hear it. People describe things, then I hear it, and ask "what were you hearing?" There is also pulleys. I know a really good technician that did a tear down, and the knock was the water pump. Oops.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That sounds nothing like valve tick...

If the man with the stick is right, and the knock is under the cam cover at the manifold, it is probably the cam bearing. Sound carries through solids much better than air. So, you have to be sure on where the sound originates. An automotive stethescope can be had at Harbor Freight or Sears for low $$.

SupraDood

May 26, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I did a little shopping and I think I decided to do a 2jz tt swap.

I found one out of an aristo with motor, auto tranny, wiring harness, and ecu.

Will the tranny connect to my drive shaft, its a stock 87 5-speed?

I know I have to get motor mounts made, wiring harness' intergrated, firewall clearenced, and oil pan swapped out of an mk4.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
You can buy most items off of www.driftmotion.com
But you'll need the supporting fuel & electronics as well..Just not the ecu and harness.
I'm sure theres more....But you are at the beginning of a very long and expensive road.

And no, From what I've read you will have to have a custom DS built...DM has those as well.
Might as well go with a Aluminum one piece, Good luck.