New laptop time

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
The time has come for me to buy a new laptop. My current one is a Dell Inspiron 6000 that I got for high school graduation about 6 years ago. It runs like crap when I use anti-virus software and contracts viruses when I don't. Also, since I handle most of my finances and book keeping on my computer I want something newer that will hopefully be more reliable. I don't game, make videos and my music library isn't huge. I just need a good PC for everyday use, internet etc. Never had a problem with my Dell but I've heard good things about Toshiba and Sony. Any Mac lovers GTFO, my wife has one and I hate it. If you suggest a Mac I will bribe a Mod to ban you. Thanks!

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
7Matt-GE;1580086 said:
Asus is coming out with some powerful laptops for a decent price! check em out..otherwise Toshiba and HP
Best Buy actually has a great deal on an Asus that I'm going to be picking up for my mom soon, it's like $380 for a pretty basic laptop - 3 gigs of ram and I believe everything else is pretty standard. The battery life isn't the greatest though.

Asus, Acer, Toshiba, or build your own. Building your own laptop nowadays would probably be more expensive than buying one retail though, unless you wanted a high performance one.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
As much as I hate DELL, I love their laptops. I'm very partial to the business like Vostros. I've had two Vostro 1700s and Loved them. They are sleek, thin, look good, and have a nice small price. They are also very good for upgrading.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I've had two dell laptops so far, and both have been great so far. The first one I bought used back in '05...was about a year or two old at that time, and still runs to this day....albeit SLOWLY. My current one is a Studio 17 Dell, and it's been an awesome computer so far. Toshibas are good too, my brother has one and it's been reliable for the past 4 years for him, with the exception of the power adapters shitting the bed about every year and a half, and his 10-key gave up the ghost about 6 months ago too out of nowhere. Just remember to stay away from HP computers at all costs....trust me on this...lol.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I've seen a few people with similar models of HP laptops, one of my friends has a broken up keyboard, the hinge is cracking, and his screen is dead. Uses it as a PC with an external monitor. OH and his wireless card had severe issues. Basically it was a POS

My ex had one, it was allright but kinda tweaky. Didn't use it much...so who knows what happened/would happen if she used it more.

Another friend of mine has one, said it kinda sucks...

all were dv2500's or similar models. Just a tip so you pay extra attention to the reliability of HP laptops, I do after seeing/hearing about this particular model. I think it was a model put out by costco or at least was on sale and targeted college students.

------------
edit; just noticed KicknAsphlt's post....hahaha.

Come to think of it, go to a store and type on different models, feel them, touch the pad...see what FEELS like quality. Also pay particular attention to keypad and hinge quality, and see if the housing feels like it will fall apart after a year of normal/moderately heavy use. I think laptops are MADE for portability so regular opening and use should NOT wear them out so much they fail.

HP's usually always feel like cheap plastic to me, and their mouse pads rarely feel "good"

Sony, Toshiba feel nicer. I have little experience myself, although my dad is using an old toshiba that's had it's share of use and isn't broken beyond use. just needs a new battery.

Also...HP is one of those companies that seems to go for gimmicks that don't seem...logical. Anyone remember that 'removable hard drive' feature some of them had 4 years ago or so? Idea was you could pop out your hard drive and pop it in another PC somewhere else.... blahahaha..... no.

I played with one computer, Sony I believe, that had one neat idea; media center without boot-up.

As for mac...what model does your wifey have? I'd only say mac if you wanted to pay out your ass for a high-end one. I hate the lower dollar ones... and ANY that have a plastic case.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Figit090;1581947 said:
I've seen a few people with similar models of HP laptops, one of my friends has a broken up keyboard, the hinge is cracking, and his screen is dead. Uses it as a PC with an external monitor. OH and his wireless card had severe issues. Basically it was a POS

My ex had one, it was allright but kinda tweaky. Didn't use it much...so who knows what happened/would happen if she used it more.

Another friend of mine has one, said it kinda sucks...

all were dv2500's or similar models. Just a tip so you pay extra attention to the reliability of HP laptops, I do after seeing/hearing about this particular model. I think it was a model put out by costco or at least was on sale and targeted college students.

------------
edit; just noticed KicknAsphlt's post....hahaha.

Come to think of it, go to a store and type on different models, feel them, touch the pad...see what FEELS like quality. Also pay particular attention to keypad and hinge quality, and see if the housing feels like it will fall apart after a year of normal/moderately heavy use. I think laptops are MADE for portability so regular opening and use should NOT wear them out so much they fail.

HP's usually always feel like cheap plastic to me, and their mouse pads rarely feel "good"

Sony, Toshiba feel nicer. I have little experience myself, although my dad is using an old toshiba that's had it's share of use and isn't broken beyond use. just needs a new battery.

Also...HP is one of those companies that seems to go for gimmicks that don't seem...logical. Anyone remember that 'removable hard drive' feature some of them had 4 years ago or so? Idea was you could pop out your hard drive and pop it in another PC somewhere else.... blahahaha..... no.

I played with one computer, Sony I believe, that had one neat idea; media center without boot-up.

As for mac...what model does your wifey have? I'd only say mac if you wanted to pay out your ass for a high-end one. I hate the lower dollar ones... and ANY that have a plastic case.

Yeah, just about every HP computer I've come into contact with has had the hard drive or optical drive fail prematurely....sometimes both....lol. I messed with a Sony Vaio laptop one time where all the drives in it were SCSI...I thought that was pretty pimp! Fujitsu laptops aren't too bad either.