New here.. from Houston

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Hey everyone. This is my first post here but I have been looking at this forum for some time now. Reading and learning. I don't currently have a supra yet but should have one very soon.

Just some background. I'm 19, drive a moddified Scion tC which I love. My dad works for Toyota for 20+ years now and wants to buy an old car and I told him a turbo supra. He doens't like to work on cars but I love it! So here's a story from today about the supra we are getting dragged out of a warehouse in south Houston this friday!

Story -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, where to start.

So if you haven't heard we are planning on buying a third generation Toyota Supra Turbo. MKIII
My dad has a friend/co-worker that owns a salvage shop south of the astrodome.
So I meet my dad around 11:30am to go check out this 1989 Super Red Toyota Supra Turbo.

We drive there and its a pretty shitty part of town and the place is a huge warehouse and outdoor lot with all asian auto parts. The warehouse itself looks like an abandoned building and it use to be a slaughter house. Complete with freezers and meat hangers. No A/C btw and the place is almost pitch dark cause it doesnt have many lights and everything is covered in oil.

Well we pull up and my dad is like don't freak out cause this place is really crazy inside. I'm like bs how bad could it possibly be? So we walk in and talk to the guy at the door. First thing I saw was a set of Scion tC wheels and tires lol. But doesn't look bad at all inside by the door.

The guy knew we were coming so he told us straight back through the warehouse in the corner was were we would find the turbo supra!!! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself lol. BTW having a turbo supra has always been a dream of mine...

Lemme describe as we are walking throught the old slaughter house. Very little light, everything is mostly black. Smells like old, and there are different freezers and rooms with various car parts. One freezer was full of old car seats. Another room was covered with complete engines, another radios and transmission blocks. The floor was dark black caked in years of oil and very slippery. The place reminded me of old buildings in 3rd world countries and texas chainsaw massacre... Heh It would be an absolutely perfect setting for the most scary haunted house...

Well we are in the very back of the warehouse now and there is a room filled with cars. Prolly about 40 or so. We find the turbo supra in the very back corner covered in an inch of dust and in the dark. One of the workers brings us a shop light so we can look at it better. I removed some dust and the paint is perfect from what I can tell. It's a super red color. The exterior is in great condition, just needs new tires. The engine is also looking very nice to be almost 20 years old.
The interior of the car is actually very good. Only things it need are a center console, steering shaft cover, and door speakers oh and a driver side seat lol. It has a seat in it but it wasnt the seat that should be there. It has the removable targa top that makes it look like a semi-convertable.
Best pic I could get... Look at that dust
p653488_1.jpg

Good thing it has been inside for all these years cause its in great condition.

My dad is having the guys pull the supra out to the daylight tomorrow so we can go look at it in the sun shine on Friday! I'm excited... Thats my story.
Stay tuned

Last edited:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Interesting find! Make sure you start a Build thread after you get this thing home if you buy it. ;)

It will be cool to see what it's like to get thing running. Any idea on mileage? How long has it been stored? Anything other details on the history? More pics!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Found out yesterday it was only driven for 9 years. The guy who has it right now bought it at an auction 9 years ago and brought it to that spot. So it's been sitting inside a warehouse for half it's life.

I am going today around noon to look again. They are suppost to drag it out of the warehouse or blow the dust off and get some big lights in there so we can look at it in detail. I am taking my 6.0 mp camera with me so I will finally get some pics! I believe it is maroon color and not super red but the paint looks perfect.

What kinds of thing would be required to get that engine running? Basically drain everything and flush and pump. Fill with new fluids, new battery, check all the hoses(my dad wants to replace anything and everything that is rubber) I've never had an old car before so...
Pics later!

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Bluechulappa said:
Found out yesterday it was only driven for 9 years. The guy who has it right now bought it at an auction 9 years ago and brought it to that spot. So it's been sitting inside a warehouse for half it's life.

I am going today around noon to look again. They are suppost to drag it out of the warehouse or blow the dust off and get some big lights in there so we can look at it in detail. I am taking my 6.0 mp camera with me so I will finally get some pics! I believe it is maroon color and not super red but the paint looks perfect.

What kinds of thing would be required to get that engine running? Basically drain everything and flush and pump. Fill with new fluids, new battery, check all the hoses(my dad wants to replace anything and everything that is rubber) I've never had an old car before so...
Pics later!

after you do all the hoses for the fluids pay attention to the tubing for the air! those old plastic and rubber turbo pipes don't stand up to well anymore. replace them with hard pipes. also best thing to do with a car that has sat that long, it to remove the timing belt, and gain access to the oil pump pulley. then turn that (with a power tool) to prime the engine. Also i'm kind of mixed about the oil thing some say use new right away others say use the old stuff for a bit, then change. and DO NOT use synthetic unless you are doing a full rebuild. synthetic is a cleaner, it will eat anything in it's way like the gunk that is holding your piston rings together. Also the same gunk that is floating around your block, will be returned to the pan, and then clog the pump screen. then........ ROD KNOCK! I'm currently rebuilding a VW 1.8 for my dad cause he used synthetic..... DOH! anyways good luck with it man. If you need any advice hit me up, i bought my car under some what similar conditions. (only sitting for a year) I can also tell you every possible source of an oil leak, from experience. When you go to look at it, DO NOT START IT YET. understand that this is a project. not a get in and go car. pull the oil fill cap and check for any white residue. also the dipstick, how's it look. milky? both of those spell BHG check the P/S pressure hose for leaks at the crimps between the hrad line and the rubber. that is common. Also pull the accordian hose off of the turbo, and check the shaft play. It should have no movement front to back, and very very very minimal side to side. anything more than like .003" (correct me if i'm wrong) is bad on the side to side. if there is more than that, it needs rebuilt ( about 400-500)

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Pics...
Supra all dusty! :nono:
p656703_1.jpg

p656703_2.jpg

Perfect paint under the thick coat of dust!
p656703_3.jpg

Mirror missing but I found one the same color from another supra at this place!
p656703_4.jpg

Headliner with targa top - Headliner looks spankin new!
p656703_5.jpg

Missing speaker and cover. Found them from another supra at this place...
p656703_6.jpg

All the pieces that are missing I have found from other supras in this junkyard! I'm so excited. It's getting moved from this spot sometime this week then hopefully I can get it to my house and start bringing her back to life!
p656703_7.jpg

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Oh and the drivers seat is missing cause it got burned. But supposedly he has another one so I should be set....

BTW If anyone needs parts in the Houston area... Hit me up, I might start working for this guy and he's got close to everything for everything.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Okay well I'll be getting this car soon.. Maybe this week but after I clean it up like bran new and get it running great I wanna know whats the highest amount of hp I can acheive with the stock internals.? 300-400 whp

What would be involved.

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
Welcome and wow thats an interesting find who would have know you could find a supra lurking around a old butcher shop. And heres a tip if your going to own a supra learn how to work on her or become best friends with your dad so he can work on her. Or it gets expensive very quickly. And keep your scion as back up.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
thanks guy... After it's all cleaned up and looking as close to new as possible what should be the first performance mods. And how hard would a goal of 300+rwhp be? I have been hearing that exhaust and intake do wonders. I want an exhaust thats not to loud. Trying to keep her more on the sleeper side :evil2:

I've been looking into the cooleze intercooler piping, would that help any?
Couple of noob questions: I saw that some of the MKIII have adjustable suspension or something? I was looking at pics of the strut mounts in the engine bays and noticed one set is just flat with 3 bolts(like my tC) and others have a large black cover on them, with wires coming from them. Does that mean thats the adjustable suspension? My supra has the large plastic covers on it but it's missing the center console so I can't tell if it had that botton for the suspension. Also what does this function do? Does it lower the car slightly or does it just make the ride stiffer or something like that?

And does the 7m-gte have a stock boost gauge in the cluster? Thanks