new guy from maine

wraith1176

Aug 28, 2006
Bucksport,ME
Hello I am new to the site though i have been lurking around and trying to learn as much as i can this is my first supra. Hopefully picking it up in a week or so. Its a 89 turbo targa, 5 spd, BHG. I am toying with engine swap ideas and i have read alot on the site, seems anything is possible with time and money. Time i have, money comes a little slower. i will post pics after i get the car. Also i noticed jarco sells 7mgte long blocks that you can get with the hks head gasket installed any thoughts on that? Any help or input is very much appreciated. I am very excited to get to work on this car. Unfortunatly i do have to finish my last project bike first: 88 FZR1000. Once i sell it income goes into the supra.:naughty:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Welcome Wraith

You can find out just about anything here if you go to the right section and search for it. I don't have any experience with the long blocks so I can't tell you about them. I think most of the guys here just rebuild their block so at least they know what they've got. A blown headgasket isn't that hard to fix. You should have it running in a weekend at worse.....................lol

wraith1176

Aug 28, 2006
Bucksport,ME
Yeah i could rebuild the engine but i am unsure of the machine shops around here. I don't think they have alot of experience with these engines and i really want to eliminate BHG problems. Well do as much as i can to eliminate it. Am also goin to be adding a body kit and new paint so this will be a longer than a weekend project as i only have weekends to devote to it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm sorry Wraith, I just couldn't help myself. Good luck, and can't wait to see your car...............lol

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Wraith!!! On behalf of most of us members here at SM we would like to say how sorry we are that at this point the only contact you have had here was suprahero.......:biglaugh: Let me be the first sane member to welcome you. Hero is right a search should help you out on you rebuild questions. Many here are running jdm, but many members have had good and bad with those engines. We are a tight group and always willing to help!!! Dont be afraid to post and we love pictures.......

Oh sweet Bike!!! My other addiction is a 94 YZF 750. It is however not a street bike any longer it is set up for the track....................:evil2:

Enjoy your stay, and avoid ^^^^^^^^^^ at all costs..............:biglaugh:

wraith1176

Aug 28, 2006
Bucksport,ME
So there was a slight miscomunication about what is wrong with my car, i thought it was a BHG, but its not, its a rod knock!! So i guess the engine is coming out so i have to make a choice to stay 7m or go with 1j or 2j, i have read up on the swaps but i would like input on pros and cons to keeping the 7m. i don't really care about keeping it stock looking, or do i care about keeping the a/c.

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Damn a rod knock? That sucks. If you can afford it I would go with a 2JZ swap. Out of all the Supra engines it has the most potential. The 7M is a good engine, but they can be prone to BHG. The 1J's are nice as well but in North America parts for the 1J can be scarce. Not a good thing when you have a roadside mishap and need a simple part ASAP. Last I checked you couldnt call up your local NAPA or Auto Zone and pick up parts for those things. Plus they can be a little high maintenance as well. Good luck though with your engine. And welcome to the site:)

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
welcome to SM, hope you learn as much as i have from this site... good luck with your build... just be patient and do things right the first time and youll be fine

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Welcome Wraith, I'm from Mass but seems I'm the closest one to post in here so far. Keep a look out for DaleDoe, he's the only other member I know of from Maine.