New Engine Install Upgrades?

supraemeallah

Dec 21, 2011
Washington DC
I have an '87 Turbo Supra that's about to get a new engine. I'd rather go with a new turbo instead of a rebuilt one. Which turbo upgrade should I go with? Definitely looking for more power. I'm also going with a 3" downpipe/exhaust system. Definitely need advice on which turbo to go with.Also what other initial upgrades should I go with? I'm open to all suggestions!

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
what "new" engine? whats wrong with rebuilt turbos? what are your power goals? WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF THE CAR FIRST OF ALL?????

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
^^^ What he said... There are a lot of possibilities... and by a lot, I mean hundreds. Nobody wants to write out a hundred options for you, so...

What's the order of importance to you? Power, price, reliability?

How much power do you want? What's your budget like? What will you use the vehicle for after it's complete?

supraemeallah

Dec 21, 2011
Washington DC
Not really a "brand new engine" but a remanufactured one. Not to say anything is wrong with rebuilt turbos,someone once told me that they were the same price as a new one. Not looking for "Mad Max" power just nice upgrades to give me more power than stock.I would say in the range of 300 to 350hp.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
remanufactured = rebuilt = used = NOT new. There is literally no difference between "remanufactured" and "rebuilt". Same exact thing.

Given your low power goal a stock ct would be fine. You could go with a 54 trim CT maybe, but no need to go with anything more than that. Hell, a full turbo back exhaust, intake and a boost controller will get you about there.

Driftmotion and Albert on here make good rebuilt turbos and can make them a little more top end-friendly if you plan on raising the boost.

supraemeallah

Dec 21, 2011
Washington DC
Please forgive my usage of the word "NEW".I only meant new to me in the sense that the old engine locked up engine is coming out and a remanufactured functioning one is going in it's place.So it'll be new to me. That being said,thanks Suprarx7nut and Xzeror, you both gave me the exact answer I was looking for.