New Engine, Cracked Block, Fixable?

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
So have nearly $3k tied up in this engine and everything is new. When I was installing the oil filter adapter the large banjo bolt that holds the adapter in place cracked the block where it threads into the side. The red line indicates where the crack is on the threaded part. Now my question is, can I fix the block or do I have to scrap it?

p1266093_1.jpg

Last edited:

revmatcher

Feb 13, 2009
Va
Thats pretty lame, sorry to hear. Well one thing that I can say is, you can weld iron and you could weld that and then try to retap the block there for your oil filter banjo. But at the same time are you sure of how far the crack in the block goes? Its probably not worth it to try and use it. Was just trying to offer another opinion.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Yes, it is possible to fix the block, but with the cost and headache of doing so, I would replace the block with a good one everytime. Was the block checked for cracks prior to doing any work on it? That is the first step in any motor build.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Scrap it... weird, this seems to be a fairly common issue in this area, at least on the 7Ms... wonder why...

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
whats wrong with getting the crack properly welded up and then retapped... its never going to be good as new but still assembly costs arnt cheap, you may aswell throw your money in the bin otherwise...

did you over tighten the bolt? i dont think its supposed to be done up super tight

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Cast iron - that means to PROPERLY weld it, the entire block must be 100% disassembled, pre-heated, THEN welded on by a damn competent welder.

In other words, it'd be cheaper to replace the block with another ;)

Rich, are you crazy? Hot tank THEN Magnaflux! ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"If" you have access to the root of the crack you could drill a small hole to prevent it continuing then Silver Braze the crack shut after thorough cleaning and that would stop it in it's tracks but that hinges on the "if".

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
I usually check torque specs on most things before installing but I figure it would be safe to just get it snug. The torque spec I believe is 36ft/lbs and I pretty sure I didnt have much more than that so whether or not is was already damaged Im not sure. This was going to be made for 400+ horsepower so I had the block check carefully and was not going cheap anywhere. That crack goes really deep and wide so Im not sure it can be stopped.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
First thing I was thinking it might have been one of those overlooked details like 36 in lbs and misread as ft. lbs.

Seriously though, 36ft.lbs. isnt a ton of pressure and perhaps all that happened was it exerted pressure on an existing crack.

Did you have the block Magnafluxed when it was built?

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Yeah it was magnafluxed, but I really didnt think much of a 1 inch diameter bolt going into a cast iron block. Unfortunantly for me and my lost job, Im probably just going to have to cut my losses and sell out on everything.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
That 36 ft/lbs torque spec is a MAX spec.

You would apply more clamping force and less stress on the threads using a 30-40% torque reduction with moly or antiseize compound on the threads, than you would with the threads dry @ 36ft/lbs.

If you used ANY lube at all and applied 36ft/lbs well then you reap what you sow.

And there is no way you can judge torque with out a torque wrench. Too many variables, length of wrench used, where it is griped, cleanliness of threads, etc.

Twigger said:
I really didnt think much of a 1 inch diameter bolt going into a cast iron block.

It's not about the diameter of the bolt that you should be worried about, it is the threaded hole it goes into and how weak/thin the wall of the threads are.

Every terrestrial metal has a breaking point. Just because it is iron does not mean you can go gorilla on it's ass.

Last edited:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Doward;1267198 said:
Rich, are you crazy? Hot tank THEN Magnaflux! ;)

Hot Tank??? No way. I only do thermal clean on blocks, we save the hot tank for the cranks. And yes, I am crazy, I have a mk3:biglaugh:

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Frank Rizzo;1267617 said:
It's not about the diameter of the bolt that you should be worried about, it is the threaded hole it goes into and how weak/thin the wall of the threads are.

Every terrestrial metal has a breaking point. Just because it is iron does not mean you can go gorilla on it's ass.

That is true, and no I was not going gorilla although I wanted to after it broke. Not 100% sure on this but I believe most of the bolts on this engine are torque to yield bolts, so tightening them to factor specs well run the risk of them coming loose. However to solve this problem I bought just about all the important bolts from the dealer so I could torque them to the factory specification. This was one of the bolts I did not think to get, so back to where I was, not sure if the block was bad or a combination of the two.