New bearings, washers, and oil pump to provent crankwalk?

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Hey guys I was thinking of buying new ACL race series Rod Bearings and ACL Thrust Washers to install to prevent crankwalk as I have a Heavy single disk clutch. I also plan on buying a new Oil pump just to make sure it's squirting enough oil to my thrust washers. You guys think any of this is a good idea?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Disable your clutch start switch, simple and effective. I have been able to run the RPS 3200 crank-walker supreme just fine on a healthy engine and just that simple mod.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
deazndude;1984381 said:
Hey guys I was thinking of buying new ACL race series Rod Bearings and ACL Thrust Washers to install to prevent crankwalk as I have a Heavy single disk clutch. I also plan on buying a new Oil pump just to make sure it's squirting enough oil to my thrust washers. You guys think any of this is a good idea?

None of that is going to prevent crank walk. The thrust bearings aren't force fed oil like the other bearings in the engine. The only true way to prevent it is a multiplate.

JonoTurbo;1984397 said:
Disable your clutch start switch, simple and effective. I have been able to run the RPS 3200 crank-walker supreme just fine on a healthy engine and just that simple mod.

You're simply lucky. Known a lot of people that destroyed their motors with that PP and the hell they went through. If you're making big enough power to need such a clutch, you can afford a multiplate.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
FYI... also, if the car's been sitting awhile, remove the EFI fuse and crank to build up some oil pressure and get things lubed again. My car sat for ~6 months, while I rebuilt the tranny. After I installed the tranny I pressed the clutch in, while testing the shifter and probably caused my own crankwalk, by pushing the dry components together.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
yep, as others have said: don't run a pressure plate rated over 2800lbs (especially when it's been documented 1000x that it's horrible for the motor) and disconnect the clutch safety switch.

Also, the bit about oil pressure after sitting for awhile isn't a bad idea either, but then again there are plenty of cars out there that have sat for ages (year +) and haven't had an issue in that regard. Unfortunately, the issue was likely already present at some stage prior to that start where you noticed it :(

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Poodles;1984485 said:
You're simply lucky. Known a lot of people that destroyed their motors with that PP and the hell they went through. If you're making big enough power to need such a clutch, you can afford a multiplate.

Perhaps I was lucky. That aside, what I really wanted to point out that for most pressure plates, rebuilding the lower half of the engine is overkill.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
^ that's a 3.2k lb pressure plate.. It doesn't matter how healthy the motor is, there will always be a threshold that once passed will result in failure.