new a/t fluid but does not shift like it should

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I took my 87 Turbo Supra to a transmission shop to get a transmission fluid service. They changed the gasket, fluid, and filter but when I first drove it for about 13 miles it would not go past 3100 rpm's but it would shift and it would seem like it would stall a little but about 5 miles after that it seemed to get better and better and shift more like it should. I also tried it with the PWR button and the NORM button on and that was with the overdrive on as well. Im not going hard to the trans but I need to know...

Do I need to worrie about this or is this just because the fluid has not completely gone through the trans and it may be a valve sticking or something like that?

Thanks.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
ive seen a lot of transmissions take a crap after a flush and fluid change.

hopefully, it is just low on fluid. drive the car to get it up to temp. then shift to L, wait a couple seconds, then 2, wait a couple seconds, etc til you get back to park. then with the car still running, check the fluid.

also, are you sure they put the correct fluid in it?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
ms07s- I did check the fluid and it looked good(when the car was running).

dbsupra90- Do you think that if a car has not had a trans service then it should not get one? I heard this before and I was wondering what you think about it. I also have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe with 217,xxx miles and im not sure on weather the trans was serviced before but im wondering if I should get it serviced or not but back on topic...

Im sure they did that but I will do that tomorrow with changing the gears. The fluid level was good but I will recheck(after I change the gears) and call them to make sure but it should be dexron 3 right? I drove the car today and it did that once when I first drove it and later it did not do that at all. Im just wondering if the trans will last because it shifts smooth but im just thinking a valve might be sticking or the fluid might not be getting to where it needs to be. One last thing, I will check the kick down cable as well to make sure that it is tight and not loose.

Thanks guys for the response.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
May just be taking awhile to soak into the clutch packs. No big deal.

If the fluid has never been changed on a high milage trans there is a chance the new fluid will brake loose old varnish and dibris that can build up causing cloggs and failures. Thats what I have heard but never experienced that problem.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Ok so today I changed the gears from P to L and then to P again and drive the car for about 5 miles. I waited about 5 seconds in each gear and I did this twice and it seemed alot better so hopefully it will stay like that:).

Thanks again.

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
on an older a/t tranny i always change the filter and fluid then a week or 2 later change then change both agian.

the reason most trannys fail after a tranny service is due debrie clogging up the tranny filter after fresh atf goes to work on it. this causes a restriciton for fluid flow, aka:burned up tranny.

also soak the filter with new atf before installing.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
i've done alot of tranny flushes and filters on high mileage vehicles....i'm a tech for tires plus.... the best thing to do after a change of any kind is to just let it run so it can pump the fluid through the filter and around the tranny for a good 5-10 mins. I always run mine in gear on a lift afterwards for about 20 mins to simulate driving. i did a 98 explorer 5.0 tranny flush and filter that had 290,xxx miles on it two weeks ago and it hasn't had a problem.