New 7M head, valve and camshaft question!!!!

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
So the curse of the 7m has befallen upon me, just blew a head gasket in my 89 N/A. Removed the head, took it to a friend who owns a performance engine/machine shop and the head is cracked... BUT good news i happened to find a nice virgin 7m head today, and here's the kicker, I don't get the camshafts, or valves. So here comes the question, the head is N/A btw. Can i reuse my camshafts, valves, and shims? I realize that i do have a friend that owns a performance engine shop but I forgot to ask this question when i dropped the head off and have been crazy busy with work and am in the process of moving and the next time i see him will be friday, i know excuses excuses but honestly i would rather have the opinion of you dudeBros who build supras, any information and opinions would be extremely helpful, thanks

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, you can use your valves and shim along with the camshafts in that head but all clearances will have to be checked and I assume he will be doing a valve job as well.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
wasn't planning on a valve job, is this a must have? that's just reseating the valves right? I don't really have a large amount of funds to throw around due to the move. I was going to put the head together myself this weekend, I have a supra bible so i know what clearances to have, and i've dealt with shims before on the yota pickup 3.0 v6. thanks btw:)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
As long none of the valves are burnt or any crazy pitting, you can get buy on buying some Permatex Lapping compound to clean up the faces of the valve and valve seat. Keep in mind, doing this will cause you to have tight valves that will need to be shimmed correctly. You might get lucky on some and not have to do anything.

If you do this, you don't have to hand lap each valve for hours, just put some of the compound on the valve, add some water, as it is made to be mixed with water, and place to valve on the seat and turn it left and right. Just a few seconds is enough. They sell the lapping tool to do this at your local parts store. DONT GO CRAZY ON IT.

Keep in mind, this is a way just to get buy, it doesn't and will not help in badly pitted valves and stuff like that. I always do a valve job but I have done this on a 7M before and it does help. I assuming your seats and valves are decent at best and are not bent.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Understood, valve job = good idea. If my valves happen to be bent would i have to go straight through toyota to purchase new?

I'm trying to keep the car as close to factory specs. as i can btw, no boost, all original. thanks again

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
so my valves turned out to be good, along with the springs and buckets. Went to go get shims at the toyota dealership and holy cow they are expensive! So I decided to wait on the shims, and while waiting i found out that ford zetec shims are identical!! and they are less than half the price, i hate to put ford parts on my toyota but i need my car back on the road. Once again thanks for all your input!!