needing help on what ugrades to get!

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
:1zhelp:i decided to get a 57 trim turbo. it is the ct 26. and i was wondering what upgrades i am needing to get to make sure my car runs right. any help would be appreciated. thank you:1zhelp:

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
if you are completely stock, nothing really. just don't up the boost pressure and leave it run off the wastegate.

if you want to go big, intake and a 3in exhaust would do nicely

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Well I just got rid of my '87 Supra Turbo. I ran 12.9 at the track with it, and this is what was done.

Rebuilt 7m-gte ( only the bottom end )
RC 550 injectors
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255 Fuel pump
Lexus AFM
Hard intercooler pipe
3" elbow HKS down pipe, Welded in test pipe, and Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Apexi SAFC

That is all I had, but depending on what you want to do, you will need different upgrades.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ft413

My primary question to you would be. How is the car from a mechanical UPKEEP view?

What I mean by that is how are the

Hoses, oil lines for oil cooler. Basic maintanance items. The reason I pose this question is that if any of that stuff is degraded. They need to be replaced. Now with that said. If those items get to a point of being that bad on an OEM setup. Then modifying the car will not be for you as once you start upping the power. The maintance intervals shorten conciderably. This means that maintanance must be performed more often or risk the chance of popping a crucial line and be stranded. That usually happens at the most inopportune time.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
figgie;1140056 said:
ft413

My primary question to you would be. How is the car from a mechanical UPKEEP view?

What I mean by that is how are the

Hoses, oil lines for oil cooler. Basic maintanance items. The reason I pose this question is that if any of that stuff is degraded. They need to be replaced. Now with that said. If those items get to a point of being that bad on an OEM setup. Then modifying the car will not be for you as once you start upping the power. The maintance intervals shorten conciderably. This means that maintanance must be performed more often or risk the chance of popping a crucial line and be stranded. That usually happens at the most inopportune time.

yes almost all of the lines were replaced i had a couple coolant lines blow so i just decided to do everyone while i was at it

stabbinkabbin

Jul 18, 2008
Spring TX
I would ATLEAST have a fuel controller so you dont go lean =(, I have a safcII that works very well for what my setup right now, I want 550s though. Oh and plus what the other guys said about basic up keep.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Beginning: When you first start to upgrade a car there are many ways to do it, , and then if you do not do it correctly you can blow your sh\t to the sky:thumbdown

Starting: If you truly want a reliable car that makes some serious power you will need to start with a engine rebuild. That head gasket is only going to take so much. If your motor is good, then that's a good start, still the head gasket might go. I would suggest a engine rebuild, with a hks 1.2 mm head gasket, ARP head studs. New coolant hoses. Keep the stock bore unless something is wrong. Stock connecting rods are fine, along with pistons, if you're really wanting more serious power go with eagle rods, and JE pistions, Cp, or probe, it all depends on what you like and how much money you have.

Refresh:

Now that your engine is complete, I think it would be easier and more cost effective for you to go with a ct-26 upgraded, there are many different wheels you can get from 50-62. It's all what you want to do. After your turbo a non restrictive exhaust will make your large turbo quite happy. :icon_bigg A Lexus AFM would be great too, so you can raise your parameters. I think it's 20% do not quote me.

Fueling:

You will need to upgrade your fuel system. if you don't good luck with a upgraded car. Rc 550's have always been good, and they keep proving they are the best. A walbro ( a real One ) if you have something better then mind go for it!. A fuel pressure regulator would also be great, set to 40, and for each pound of boost it's 1:1, ( learned that from Ij. ) if you want to add 2 psi make it 42 want to add 24 psi? make it 64 you get the point.

Tuning:

I think this is the most important part. You will need to have a good tune on your car to make sure you have everything working in sync. A AFC would work for you, it worked well for me, and I have nothing to complain about. once you get that working correctly it's always a great idea to get a Real* Wideband o2 Sensor. many people opt for AEM, Innovate, I prefer DEFI* Quite expensive but with that you get great results. Once you have all that. make sure your car is safe to drive.

Well good luck have any question, they'll be answered.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
92TealSupra;1140597 said:
Beginning: When you first start to upgrade a car there are many ways to do it, , and then if you do not do it correctly you can blow your sh\t to the sky:thumbdown

Starting: If you truly want a reliable car that makes some serious power you will need to start with a engine rebuild. That head gasket is only going to take so much. If your motor is good, then that's a good start, still the head gasket might go. I would suggest a engine rebuild, with a hks 1.2 mm head gasket, ARP head studs. New coolant hoses. Keep the stock bore unless something is wrong. Stock connecting rods are fine, along with pistons, if you're really wanting more serious power go with eagle rods, and JE pistions, Cp, or probe, it all depends on what you like and how much money you have.

Refresh:

Now that your engine is complete, I think it would be easier and more cost effective for you to go with a ct-26 upgraded, there are many different wheels you can get from 50-62. It's all what you want to do. After your turbo a non restrictive exhaust will make your large turbo quite happy. :icon_bigg A Lexus AFM would be great too, so you can raise your parameters. I think it's 20% do not quote me.

Fueling:

You will need to upgrade your fuel system. if you don't good luck with a upgraded car. Rc 550's have always been good, and they keep proving they are the best. A walbro ( a real One ) if you have something better then mind go for it!. A fuel pressure regulator would also be great, set to 40, and for each pound of boost it's 1:1, ( learned that from Ij. ) if you want to add 2 psi make it 42 want to add 24 psi? make it 64 you get the point.

Tuning:

I think this is the most important part. You will need to have a good tune on your car to make sure you have everything working in sync. A AFC would work for you, it worked well for me, and I have nothing to complain about. once you get that working correctly it's always a great idea to get a Real* Wideband o2 Sensor. many people opt for AEM, Innovate, I prefer DEFI* Quite expensive but with that you get great results. Once you have all that. make sure your car is safe to drive.

Well good luck have any question, they'll be answered.

thanks youve been a huge help. i do have some questions tho. when i install the turbo(57 trim) will i automaticlly see and feel more power. without changing the boost?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
stabbinkabbin;1140590 said:
I would ATLEAST have a fuel controller so you dont go lean =(, I have a safcII that works very well for what my setup right now, I want 550s though. Oh and plus what the other guys said about basic up keep.

Not needed with an upgraded turbo as fuel cut is still there and any more air it flows will be detected by the AFM...

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
Poodles;1140909 said:
Not needed with an upgraded turbo as fuel cut is still there and any more air it flows will be detected by the AFM...

soo your saying i should just get a fuel cut defender without any other upgrades?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1141105 said:
No, don't touch an FCD as it's meant to be used with the full HKS tuning suite.

Very true, HKS FCD's are useless without further HKS upgrades. You will feel difference with your .57 trim, but as you may know fuel cut will be the issue for you, The AFM is still in effect for the fuel cut, that is why I suggest a LEXUS AFM.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
92TealSupra;1141441 said:
Very true, HKS FCD's are useless without further HKS upgrades. You will feel difference with your .57 trim, but as you may know fuel cut will be the issue for you, The AFM is still in effect for the fuel cut, that is why I suggest a LEXUS AFM.

alright so just the lexus AFM and the 550s?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
ft413;1141590 said:
alright so just the lexus AFM and the 550s?

Walbro fuel pump or something not from China, you'll be sure to get a china one if you don't do your research. Also you will need a fuel pressure regulator.