need supra expert. i think its a gonner

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i was driving down the road this morning and i started to hear this knocking sound. kinda a tap tap tap when it is in idle then i rev it to about 2-2500 rpm and it sounds like a second tap starts up and this one is way more violent and way louder. it was the same in every gear. and if i let off the throttle at all it would instantly stall even if i was in gear and moving. i checked the oil and i had oil. it was a little low but not below the empty on the dip stick. i toped up the oil and started it back up and it still has the tap tap tap. i reved it at it still does the faster louder tap. the tapping is very rappid and sounds like its coming from the center of the engine.

any ideas?

Thanks

Travis

ps: its a 7m gte with 183 000 km on it. it has some work done to it. aftermarket turbo and turbo manifold, fuel pump and injectors. i have a dual stage boost controller and the one stage is boosting at 6psi and the other at 14 psi. i rarely boost it at 14 psi but yesterday night i did tho the first three gears and it didnt sound like anything was wrong.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
i was thinking rod knock! what exactly is a rod knock? can it be driven or will it hurt it? how hard is the fix? how much for the parts? how long would it take a mechanic to fix?

Thanks

Travis

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Don't drive it till you figure out exactly what is wrong and fix it. If it is rod knock, that means your bearings are fubar'd and need to be replaced. This entails pulling the motor and taking it apart. While your in there I would also personally do quite a bit of other general maintenance and engine work. It's hard to determine exact cost as every case is different. gl.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
The crank dampner is the biggest pulley that drives all of the accessory belts.

It is located at the front of the engine.

It gets loose from improper repair procedures when joe schmo thinks he is a mechanic and replaces his timing belt.

You MUST prevent the crankshaft from turning when you tighten the 19mm crankshaft dampner bolt.

The only way this can be accomplished with the engine installed in the vehicle is to gain access to the engine flywheel/flexplate by either removing the starter, or the inspection cover between the engine and the transmission.

Torque value is 195ft/lbs. Good luck.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
sound to me like you will be needing some help.....If i were you I would make friends with some guys on here that live near you. Check out the reginal subforum for your area. When I was a noob i benefited greatly from guys that knew (and still know) alot more about these cars than i did.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ya well im thinking this can be an excuse for me to put a 1j or even a 2j in the car. i do know lots of people that have done rs20 swaps in 240's so im sure they could help with a 1j/2j swap. there are lots of threads on how to do the swap. plus my one buddy is a apprentice mechanic.

thanks for the help.

Travis