Need suggestions. :)

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
Well heres what im dealing with. Im 18, work 20 hour weeks(-$300 paychecks every 2 weeks) with high school, so I'm on a budget with time and money. I love my Supra (89 Turbo, auto), but it swallows my money whether I like it or not. So. Im +/- $600 range all the time. I cannot decide what I want to do next. I have CAI, 3 inch downpipe back exhaust, 2.5in aluminum intercooler kit, HID's, yellow fogs, lowered on Eibach springs, and have some sexy Starion wheels with some tires that are too big on them (225/50/16). I like having spare money in case anything else breaks, which happens a lot. But here are my choices for whats next that I've thought of.
-Megan Street Coilovers (-$700)
-Skinnier/Stretched tires (+/-$300)
-3in semi-divorced downpipe ($250)
-Go wingless and get a hatch visor ($280 + paint/body work for spoiler holes)
-Clear turns/side markers ($100)
-Megan Strut bar ($150)

And if anyone has any other suggestions or knows where to find these used or for a better price, let me know! I know theres more, but i cant think right now.

Thanks!

Joe Gregg.

p1685361_1.jpg

p1685361_2.jpg

p1685361_3.jpg

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
I had virtually the same dilemma as you. Should I powder coat my rims or drop the car on some megan's. In the end I decided on the megan's because once you take out the old suspension you can get a little money to put towards something else on your list of to-do's.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
strut bar=useless in our cars... but if you really want one ill sell you mine! lol idk what brand it is, PO just slapped it on
coilovers, then sell the Eibachs. and with that money DDP

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
barkz;1685386 said:
strut bar=useless in our cars... but if you really want one ill sell you mine! lol idk what brand it is, PO just slapped it on
coilovers, then sell the Eibachs. and with that money DDP

This is a true fact. Multi-link suspension and all. The effect of a strut bar is absolutely minimal at best.

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
How much are the Megan tracks? I wanna get some super legit coilovers, but megan has decent stuff so I was just gonna go with their cheapest set which is the EZ streets. Less than 700 bucks, the only ones cheaper are some godspeed ones that I really don't trust. Anyone have any experience with a bad megan product or the ez streets?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
My vote is for new tires and a downpipe.

As others said the strut tower bar is pretty much useless in the supra. Coilovers are all fine and dandy, but wont do shit for you if your tires are too wide for the rim and you're cornering on sidewall. Tires have the biggest effect on your handling. Get the right sized tires before you do anything else, its arguably a safety issue. Secondly, you're gonna get the best bang for the buck with the down pipe, the factory unit is very restrictive, especially at the turbo elbow. You have the rest of the exhaust system, so you might as well take full advantage of it. Also IMO you should leave the wing on, it makes the supras look better.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Metal head gasket with ARP studs ......

Boost controller and or upgraded ct-26 turbo ;) Something you will actually feel/use. Upgraded CT 26 IIRC $600 !? Shop around in the for sale section and you will find them even cheaper.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
92nsx;1685493 said:
Metal head gasket with ARP studs ......

Boost controller and or upgraded ct-26 turbo ;) Something you will actually feel/use. Upgraded CT 26 IIRC $600 !? Shop around in the for sale section and you will find them even cheaper.

My point exactly ;)

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
id go with the down pipe, like someone said earlier it will really get rid of that restrictive elbow and complete you exhaust setup. being on a budget its the cheapest option and being you already put on lowering springs you should just ride them out till your ready to put out more money for the coil overs and tires which you can do on summer break when you can try to pick up more hours at the job .

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
Well, good news. My car caught a guys eye today while I was filling my tank. He was telling me how he has a 90 na 5spd car. He was telling me how much he loves my car and since I took such good care of mine, he'd be willing to sell me his for $400 bucks! The front end is wrecked, but he put a low mileage jdm 7mge in it about 4 years ago and only drove about 8000 miles on it. It has the same interior as mine as well as lowering springs, and 3in catback. Im thinking about picking the trans out, exhaust, and the konigs off it and some random interior pieces that are worth something. Anything else I'm missing that could be useful?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I would suggest getting a different car for a daily unless you wanna be an 18 year old working 20 hours a week making ~$300 every two weeks with a broken Supra... ask me how many times I've seen that happen around here. ;)