Need some sound advice on something...

Should I buy the supra?

• Buy it, part out the stuff you don't need.

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Wait, get something else for cheaper.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
So this weekend I've ordered shitloads of parts for my cousin's 1972 Camaro Z28, we're going to have this bitch done by the end of the summer damnit!

He has a 1987 Black (pinstriped) Turbo, Targa, Leather, Non ABS MKIII that has had at least a couple of BHG's. He's probably never going to get the thing running again. He offered to sell me the car this weekend (like I really need it ;)). Here's what it's got:

Cooleeze Megamouth DP (non ceramic coated)
Cooleeze Test pipe
Old style RS-R GTII catback (coated Mild steel)
Cooleeze full IC hardpipe kit (non ceramic coated)
Genuine HKS SSQV
Cooleeze Accordian hard pipe
Autometer boost gauge

That's pretty much it. I basically want it for the body (undamaged) so I can transfer my wiring harness into it (his isn't that great), put in a newer block with a 7M crank (I'm thinking this can be done without having to replace the front subframe), plus it's a targa and mine's a hardtop.

He wants $1,500.00 for it, but his GF threw a shit fit when she found out what he was going to sell it to me for. I'll be selling all of those above mentioned parts (may keep the SSQV though) and that should pay for a huge chunk of the car itself, plus I'll have spare parts between the two supras to sell for those of you in need ;).

What do you guys think? Should I do it?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'd do it - you know you have some parts there that would make a good chunk off that $1500 initially. So whatever you had left over that you spent, is what you got your shell for :)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I'm just hoping that he will sell it for 1,500.00 and his ho bag GF doesn't talk him into not selling it. I will not buy it if he raises the price, I just don't see it being worth that much. He doesn't understand that 98% of the cars you buy and put money into will never get back a good portion of.

Oh, he's also throwing in a machined (but unknown RA spec) head.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
ill buy the cooleeze accordian pipe from you if you want to sell it cheap :D

otherwise it sounds like a pretty good deal if u have the money. its nothing to go get a loan for. do u have ANY idea on the condition of the engine?

-Tyler

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
As I said, I wouldn't be using the engine anyways, I just want the body, I should be able to get most of the money back from it by selling the parts off of it and the ones I don't need on my supra.

The engine, as stated, has had at LEAST 2 BHG's, that answer the question? If I buy it, I'll be cleaning up some of the parts before I sell them. They will be post up on here first ;).

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Well, it all depends on if he will sell it, he may be having second thoughts... Plus, I'd like to have some interest in the parts being sold before I buy it, that way I can pay off the credit card I will buy it with asap while I still have zero interest on it.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The body's good, it's targa (been wanting one, mine's HT) and has leather interior (could use some loving though). I basically want to be able to get most of my money back from selling the stuff that's on it already....

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
1500 bucks is a bit much for a non running car, but you'd get back a solid $800 for the parts on there ... maybe more. If you have the space then go for it. And sell me the Cooleeze accordion pipe ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
sell me the cooleeze stuff :p

doesn't sound bad, if the body is straight, chassis is sound, and all it has is a BHG, it's a steal...

BHG's aren't expensive, rod knock on the other hand...

first thing I'd do is the targa seals though, trust me on this, I wish I had done them as my first mod. Just did em and zero leaks, and it's MUCH more quiet in the car now...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I'm wanting a 7M engine from a '90 and up supra, I will not be using mine or his if I do get that car.

Why '90 and up you ask? Check out the side-by-side comparisons of the two blocks and crank shafts. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
starscream5000 said:
I'm wanting a 7M engine from a '90 and up supra, I will not be using mine or his if I do get that car.

Why '90 and up you ask? Check out the side-by-side comparisons of the two blocks and crank shafts. ;)

blocks where changed before 90, my 89 had the stronger block...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
gtsfirefighter said:
Ask him who owns the car. Him or his girlfriend? Tell him to grow a pair and sell it. There's other poon tang in the world. $1500 is to much for a non running car though.

I've told him as much, he's thick skinned as well as thick headed. He wants to get some of his money back that he's put into it. No matter how often I tell him, he'll never understand that you almost never get back what you've put into a car unless it's a well sought after antique.

Poodles said:
blocks where changed before 90, my 89 had the stronger block...

7M crank started in late '89. I'd rather get it all in one package, '90 and up's the way for me ;).