need some opinions

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
So Im getting ready to do a HG job on my car. I'm pulling the block and getting everything machined for a MHG. The lower only has 24K on it so I should be fine there but I did want to pull my oil pump and check/ replace it along with shimming. I have a few things I need oppinions on.

1. Gaskets. I searched this and either suck at searching or theres nothing addressing this exact question. Im going to be pulling a few more things than required for a standard HG job for ceramic and powder coating; thermostat, separating upper, lower intake ect. What gaskets do you guys recomend? Are there any gaskets that are just worth it to pay a bit more for from toyota? How about felpro and ebay gaskets? Good for any applications? Also Iv heard there are also some places you want to use The Right Stuff rather than a gasket?

2 Oil system. I plan to get rid of the pump to block line and shim the pump but what else would you guys recomend. I dont plan on going wild on HP here but you cant really over do when it comes to your lubrication system. I was considering putting an aftermarket oil cooler ect. Iv also hear of guys going to RX7 oil coolers. What year are they using and are they just bigger or more efficient? What setup would you guys recoment? Links to setup pics or examples, places to buy, ect would be appreciated.

3. Valves Some people have recomended a 3 angle valve job. How nessesary is this on a 7m? The head only has 24K on it and my vacume is good and very steady so my vave seats should be perfect. Im just looking at the fact that I am going to be dissasembling & assembling the head myself and if I dont have the seats ground, all the shimming should check out perfect.

all I got for now, sure Ill think of something else. Appreciate your words of wisdom:icon_bigg

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
1) I use MDS kits as they come with Viton seals instead of plain rubber

There is a couple of gasket you'll need to source from Toyota as I've never seen them in a kit, the Rear Main Seal Housing gasket.

2) Shim no more than 5mm, RX7 cooler is a good unit just may be difficult to fit due to the size/shape.

An alternative is a 8.5x11 B&M Cooler with a T Stat and minimum -8 lines and fittings (better to go -10 if possible)

3) A good 3 angle job with nice wide seats is required and would be small/cheap insurance while the motor is apart so you know it's perfect.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Who caries MDS, got a link? Some of the kits on ebay looked better than others and did come with viton valve seals.

I took my first good look at my oil cooler today, man is the stock one small. Will an 8.5X11 actually fit next to the intercooler? The other issue is Im going to be putting a spearco in at the same time so I will have to check the amount of room it leaves. The other option is using a long style such as the RX7 and mounting it above the IC. Any oppinions on who makes a good and affordable T stat, some one recomended mocal but others have said they leak? Iv found a few threads on oil relocation kits suck as this http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43983&highlight=oil+cooler but all deal with the GE or JZ so they could use a sandwich adapter. What do you recomend for the 7M most of the crap Im finding is cast. Also in the Ways to fix oiling issues thread it said to shim to 12mm??? Thanks guys

Last edited:

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Okay, You're pulling the motor and what not. I know the motor only has 24K.

As far as the MHG goes, get the block checked, and the head shaved. The machine shop will want you to pull the crank/pistons out So might as well get everything checked out for trueness, the machine shop that I took it to did the valves (2 angle), cut the head, check the block, crank, and the rods for like $165. I would recommend the ARP headstuds to torque the head to a tighter lf-lb. I personally got mine at 80lf-lbs with the moly grease that came with the ARP head studs $100, which is like 100lf-lbs on the head, little much I know.

The gasket set, the Felpro Head Gasket Set is pretty good, just toss the paper head gasket aside and use a MHG. It came with most of all the gaskets, I think I only had to get an oil pan gasket and one other gasket. It also comes with the VALVE SEALS which your machinist will want when cutting the valves.

As far as the valves go, I've been told by my machinist (Note: Guy I took it too works on a LOT of Evo's, 1j and 2j Supras and all around Drag cars for like 30years. ) That the two angle job is a standard job, You wont be able to tell a 3angle job unless you are drag racing, or pushing hella HP. So, it's up to you but that's me. I'm gonna wait until I get like 500hp then get the 3-angle.

OILING!! Most important, theres a sticky at the top of the 7MGTE entitled Ways of curing 7MGTE oiling issues. Williamb82, he sells an upgrade from the hard pipe off the oilpump to the block, that gets rid of the two hard bends and the banjo bolt.

That's my .02. Later man, got any questions? Hit me up.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
How many psi would shimming 2 or 2mm give me? 100 psi off Idle is a little exsessive for my application.

Also, Who has run a light weigh flywheel? I have a chance to pic up a fidanza really cheap but am not sure if its something I really want? What does this do to everyday drivability? How does the car do on hills and how much higher do you have to rev it when taking off durring everyday stuff? This car is a DD so Id rather not make it any less pleasant to drive.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I have my set up figured out for the most part minus what filter mount to use. Iv got my lines and gasket kit all squared away I just need a GE filter stud! Does anyone know where I can get one? cant find a source anywhere.