Need new sound system

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
Finally am giving in to all the criticism my 19 year old speakers and stereo are getting in my sup. So I've been looking into getting a new system. Just a few quick questions:

Theres only 4 speakers, correct? ('88 n/a model)

Are front's and rears both 4"?

Any recommendations on speakers?

Thanks!

I have an 87 turbo model and it has 4 4" speakers. Not that I'm an auduio expert but I have 2 sets of 4" Alpines. Not a lot of bass but I have subs I need to put in so i'm no too concerned. I don't know what 4" speakers would put out decent bass. The alpines sound good to me, it also depends on how much you want to spend.

I have heard of people modifying the speaker brackets to fit bigger speakers in. Maybe talk to a local audio shop and see if they have any ideas...or wait for someone else to post here, that always works

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
Yeah I've read about making some custom speakers pods out of mdf to fit like 5.25" or 6" speakers or something. But I'm lazy and tbh, anything right now is better than my half rotted system lol. I think I'll be getting a sub too so 4" should do fine.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I have pioneer's in the front, and a brand named durolast in the rears.

Very in exspensive speaker that i purchased at walmart. They go very loud and i have no distortion what so ever. Sound great! Alot of bass to.

Not bad for 20 bucks a pair ;)

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
Fletch124 said:
If your gunna get subs look at Alpine X-types. They sound the best by far!
I doubt I'll need 3000w of woofer to fill the cabin of a supra ;) . too far out of my price range anyways lol...

Was thinking about a single 12" type-r from alpine though...

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Fletch - An Alpine Type X speaker is FAR too much for a simple/upgraded audio system, that is a subwoofer used in sound competitions, and they're huge as far as depth goes.

Masterchief - The front speakers are 4" and the rears are 5.25". If you're looking to go the simpler route, get a new headunit, preferable single din, along with the dash kit to fit the radio in. You'll also need a wiring harness if you don't wanna splice into your factory harness (which I don't recommend). Then, get the size speakers above, pick the ones that fit to your personal liking. I personally have Infinity 4" in the front, and Alpine Type S's in the rear, I love it. I also plan on going with a Kenwood powered subwoofer in the future to add good, but not overpowering bass.

-Matt

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
GotToyota? said:
Fletch - An Alpine Type X speaker is FAR too much for a simple/upgraded audio system, that is a subwoofer used in sound competitions, and they're huge as far as depth goes.

Masterchief - The front speakers are 4" and the rears are 5.25". If you're looking to go the simpler route, get a new headunit, preferable single din, along with the dash kit to fit the radio in. You'll also need a wiring harness if you don't wanna splice into your factory harness (which I don't recommend). Then, get the size speakers above, pick the ones that fit to your personal liking. I personally have Infinity 4" in the front, and Alpine Type S's in the rear, I love it. I also plan on going with a Kenwood powered subwoofer in the future to add good, but not overpowering bass.

-Matt
Huh, you sure theyre 5-1/4 in the rear? Maybe in the 91-92 they are but last time I took the speaker covers off in the rear a while ago, I dont remember them looking as big as 5.25...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I always thought they were 5.25 in the rear as well, but I have a 91.

Honestly, if you're upgrading your sound system, focus on the fronts only. Rear fill is useless when it somes to sound imaging. Upgrading the rear speakers is just a waste of money.

Fronts are 4" on your car, but with a little hacking away at the speaker pod (it's plastic), you can fit 5.25" speakers in just fine. Or you could buy some 91-92 speaker pods on ebay, and fit 6.5" in front.

As for brand choice, how much money are you looking to spend?

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
Hm, went to an audio forum and I've gathered this list so far...

~$95 = Clarion DXZ365MP HU
~$45 = Infinity Reference 4012i (4"pair)
~$45 = Infinity Reference 4012i (4"pair)
~$105 = Ascendant Audio Assassin 12" Sub

Are these good choices? What amp should I get to power that sub? Is there anything else I need?

All those prices include s+h btw...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Good choice on the AA. For an amp, if you're looking for budget amps, I would suggest you look for a PG Xenon, or possibly a Hifonics amp.

As for the speakers, I would really suggest that you try to fit 5.25" speakers in there, ditch the rear pair, and use the money to buy a cheap amp to power the fronts. You would be surprised how much better a small 2x50w amp would make the speakers sound. The Reference series are a coaxial setup right? I've had experience with both the reference, and kappa series midrange speakers. Decent sound for the price. The tweeters are a little harsh, but you can balance it out with the EQ in your HU.

If you want to spend a little money on the midrange, I would suggest CDT audio CL-41 or CL-51 depending on which size you want.