Need my supra fixed

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
So today I just sat and looked at my Supra and I really want it running again. Its an Auto turbo, targa. The motor is shot on it from a bad headgasket which lead into a rod knock also the trans slips sometimes. Now my question> Is there a shop thats somewhat local within 30 miles or NE philly that can do the work i want done. I want a 7MGTE with a 5 spd trans in. I would like this done ASAP. Does anyone know of a well named shop that is willing to do this work? PLease please guys/girls let me know so I can get back to my roots. Thanks. :if this is in the wrong section..I'm sorry:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You're gonna get a lot of "Do it Yourself" responses. Not everybody can do it, and net everybody who can are set up to do it. Maybe somebody closeby can lend a hand. The experiece will be priceless, no matter how much of it you actually touch.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
where in NE philly are u? If you can find a suitable 7m, we can probably swap it over...as for the tranny, i've never done a 5spd swap, so i dunno about that.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
check the F/S sections, or your local autotrader or newspaper.

building/fixing a supra is gonna take a shitload of legwork from you, too. cant let everyone else do the work.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Turb0Lover said:
I'am near the gary barbara dealership. can you at least locate me a 7MGTE it will be a start.
rebuild it. most used 7ms for sale are jdm engines and i wouldn't trust a jdm 7m any farther than i could throw it...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ForcedTorque said:
You're gonna get a lot of "Do it Yourself" responses. Not everybody can do it, and net everybody who can are set up to do it. Maybe somebody closeby can lend a hand. The experiece will be priceless, no matter how much of it you actually touch.

----I edited this...might read it again...------

I sedond that, and its completely correct. not just that lots will say fix it yourself, but because i think fixing my BHG was amazingly beneficial in several ways, and i got some time to spend with my dad when he helped out and was in the garage with me doing other things = priceless.

but anyway...

isnt that kind of work going to go way past what the car is worth? (in dollar value, not sentimental of course)

Just a BHG fix at a shop is give or take....1300 bux including the labor thats practically what i paid for my car.

now tack on a new engine, transmission, shipping from wherever you GET them, and labor. for an upgrade i can understand, but you'd be getting a used engine, same as what you have, when you could just repair what you have.

---edited AGAIN..sorry------

and thats if the engine you get is a good runner. i'm sure you could get a good engine, its just if you go that way, you're getting the same engine that went to crap on you before, and you'll want to fix its issues before it gets into your car or possibly suffer the same, or similar, fate. With some new bottom end parts, the BHG fix parts, you could do well, and if you make room in your life to do it yourself, you'll have the engine out and can do the swap while your at the engine repairs. you could even use the money you SAVE in repairs instead of swapping to buy upgraded parts and better labor to deck the block and get an upgraded gasket and hardware....

i've only had one supra, and one 7m engine, but i also had one BHG, and i would never swap in another 7m engine without first doing at LEAST a new headgasket and properly torqued bolts. putting in some retorque-virgin 7m is blasphemy.

if i had the money, i'd rebuild it. and i would only do this if didnt have an engine as good as the one i'm putting in, or if my current one was blown and dead and not financially worth saving... i only have a 7m, so naturally i'd swap, but if i had a 7mgte...

Last edited:

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
The car has alot of sentimental value. But I dont want to go broke while fixing the car. And to be honest with all of you, I cant do the work myself because I've never done anything like this before and I dont have a father figure in my life to help me out. This is where I get screwed with labor costs. Theres only so much I can do with cars and pulling the motor and trans , and rebuilding the motor and swapping the trans is something I cant. This is why I ask is there is a one stop shop. Your info on this topic is helping me out a great deal and I thank you all. Please keep it going.

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
This is a quick off topic question. But i found a 2JZ for sale with a 1JZ 5spd trans for $4000. I can probly find someone to do the work for cheap. But is this worth it or is it too much money for the combo?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well for one, having my dad there was indeed a help, but depending on your knowedge and your experiance, you might not need that. I'm sorry you dont have that in your life. its just that when i had a "should i do this or do that?" question, his past experiances with things such as asking how eaisly stripping or cross threading is without finding out the hard way is the kind of thing he was there with me on. One thing was getting the damn spark plug out of #6..it wouldnt budge and i didnt know what to do. but i virtually did all the work myself. he was just there and helped speed things up. plus i'm not good at making decisions, so he helped. the labor and figuring out what's what just kinda...happened. these boards are INCREDIBLY helpful. I did a BHG fix with no prior experiance under the hood beyond pumping the clutch fluid or changing the oil. I knew basics of how engines worked and how they were put together, but learning what stuff was and discovering WHERE it was, was all new to me. i have a knack for figuring out mechanical things, but with help on this forum and a repair manual...its pretty much layed out.

then all you need is the jacks, an engine and tranny lift, and an engine stand (at least...those are the major purchases a new self-mechanic wouldnt have) and tools and space.
sooo i guess right there is one substancial problem...if you dont have that or be willing to get it...its not going to be easy, and you'd need a friend with those things. that works too though.

i think the chance of you going broke are higher if you pay a shop to swap in a motor and tranny for you. i'd try and find cost estimates on rebuilding the engine and swapping the tranny, along with a new engine and tranny. the labor and cost of the new engine might be more or much more than the labor and cost of new parts.

did you get to read my edits? there might be something in there that helps if you havent.

but anyway...a new rod is what.... under 20 bux? dont quote me, but most of the problem with a repair for the average joe w/out means to repair it himself is shop labor costs. materials arent REALLY cheap, but the labor is just plain hellacous.

i do not know how much your idea of a straight up replacement engine and tranny would be, but before you decide on one way, i'm sure you'll probably want to see how much each would cost.

sorry if thats repetitive, its kinda late for me today, i'm tired, and a bit weird. i dont have time to edit it again....

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
don't let the lack of a father figure hold you back, once you get started most of it is self explanatory. i'm just a kid with a toolbox, my dad left when i was ten or so.

SM is also a great resource, as you've found out. feel free to ask any questions!

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
I have a shop in North Carolina that can convert it to a stick for you, and I can
source all the parts needed too. I used to sell R154 conversion kits, and have
turbo'd many cars. PM me your phone number if you're interested, and we'll go
from there. I can also talk to you about the 2JZ, etc.

Jeff

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
Turb0Lover said:
I'am near the gary barbara dealership. can you at least locate me a 7MGTE it will be a start.

actually thats pretty damn close to where my car is.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have been on numerous Supra related sites for 7-8 years now. Jeff Tamulis has been there the whole way, and I have never heard a bad word about him anywhere. I don't have any direct experience with his work, but I have sold him parts in the past. But, I would recommend him to you if you were going to pay anyone to work on your car.

Honestly, if you aren't the least bit interested in learning how to do some of your own work, the Supra is definitely not the car for you. I don't like to be so harsh, but the fact is, it will continue to need repairs no matter what you do to it. It's a 20 year old car. Constsntly paying to keep it going are going to be VERY expensive over the long haul. Hell, it's expensive even if you do your own work.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
ForcedTorque said:
I have been on numerous Supra related sites for 7-8 years now. Jeff Tamulis has been there the whole way, and I have never heard a bad word about him anywhere. I don't have any direct experience with his work, but I have sold him parts in the past. But, I would recommend him to you if you were going to pay anyone to work on your car.

Honestly, if you aren't the least bit interested in learning how to do some of your own work, the Supra is definitely not the car for you. I don't like to be so harsh, but the fact is, it will continue to need repairs no matter what you do to it. It's a 20 year old car. Constsntly paying to keep it going are going to be VERY expensive over the long haul. Hell, it's expensive even if you do your own work.

*I'm blushing*

Jeff
(you check out 7MPowered.com yet?)

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
ForcedTorque said:

No, your not being harsh, your being honest. This is another reason why I want someone else to do the work. I only have experience working on my Subaru.