need help with w58 swap

Supra-Kid315

Nov 5, 2007
Cambridge
ok I've searched all over and I'm having trouble with the wiring on my 5spd swap. I look at pictures and I read threads but nothing seems 2 match wat I have, on my tranny there is only I round connecter with 2 wires in it and a ground wire towards the rear of the tranny, on other threads it says 2 slpice a round connecter coming from the tranny or sumthing that has 3 wires (blue,black,white) but I can't find it am I missing any connectors? pictures ot the w58 tranny would b good and where exactly do I find those wires 2 slpice

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Was you car an auto first?? There is the neutral safety switch, reverse lights and ABS…… This is the write up I used.

Since it seems like I'm the only one that's done it, don't get me wrong - others have, I know - just NO ONE during my search was able to provide exact details.

Ok, well... here goes nothin'.... my attempt at enabling the reverse lights in a "how to" thread.

I don't have a schematic book, so connections will be based from plugs and wire colors in my '87. And for ease of install... I cut the harness from the auto tranny (basically wanted to use the plugs).

In the attached pic, from left to right, you have the following:

1. 3 wire round plug, wht/blk spliced together enable the bypassing of the clutch (ie. pedal pushed in isn't required to start the car) and the blue is 1 of 2 wires needed for the reverse lights

2. 6 wire round plug, this plug actually tells the ECU which gear the car is in. If you searched for "auto cookie" you'll find some more info on what lead to the connections. Anyways, the only wire needed from this plug is the blk one (this is 2 of 2 for reverse wiring)

3. 6 wire square plug. not used for 5 spd. IIRC, it was linked to the 3 solenoids on the DS of the Auto tranny

4. 4 wire square plug, its a direct plug'n'play for car's with an ABS system.
vbpgimage.php

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Thank you bounty killa!!! thats exactly what i needed for my swap.

edit: quick question. basically for reverse lights i splice the blue and black one from the round plug?