Need help with newer style A340 on 1JZ

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Ok my issue is that the auto trans that came with my 1JZ is apparently the newer style that came in the MKIV and Lexus' and my ECU apparently can't run it, so I went to put the auto trans that came in the car originally back in and they are telling me that it's not gonna work either. My questions are:
A) does any of that make sense to you guys? (I'm trans/electrical illiterate)
B) can I shift the trans manually with it unplugged till I can get this fixed?
C) what are my options for fixing it?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
umm, sounds wrong to me.. I could be wrong but I think your problem is the bellhousing or your driveshaft being different... an a430e is an a340e if it was from a 7m it will be the bellhousing that is different, if it was from a mk4/lexus the drive shaft will be incorrect for your mk3. the only way I could see it being a ecu issue is if it;s entirely wrong for the car. you might need a 1jz/auto supra ecu instead of a toyota soarer/lexus sc400 one. but usually if your motor came with the engine/ecu/wiring harness it should all match up..

usually the problem with ecus is it being for a manual in an auto or vice versa

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
From what they told me (and they called tweak'd to confirm) the ECU will not be able to control either of the transmissions I have, so I think I'm just gonna get a SupraStick and use that and be done with this mess

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You could swap the Bellhousing onto your 7M Trans and use the 7M Converter then the ECT will work fine but you have to keep the Correct Converter with each box as the input splines changed.

If it's a late model trans with electronic line pressure control the Supra Stick can't run it, a PCS can though and will run any Trans you might use.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
So I can use my auto that came in the car with the 7M, as long as I swap the bellhousing, and the Soarer ECU will be able to run it correctly? Why would Tweak'd tell them that wouldn't work (said ECU couldn't run either trans)?
What is a PCS?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
So if I swap 1JZ bellhousing onto 7M trans, but keep 7M torque converter, my trans should work?
What about wiring wise? Cuz they are saying the ECU won't know how to operate it?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I thought the 1Jz ECU/TCU just ran a normal 340, no line pressure or anything different?

I can't say for sure as I've never had one but that's my understanding, electronic line pressure didn't come till later with the 343's.

And Yes 7M Trans Converter and 1J bellhousing should work.
(hope so I'm doing one in a couple of weeks)