Need help with electromotive XDI ignition

Carburated7M

Jun 23, 2007
Miami
I installed this XDI ignition only system in my carburated supra according to the instructions. The motor fires up and runs fine. The problem is when i get on the throttle the motor will not boost past 10lbs even with wastegate disconnected. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Carburated7M

Jun 23, 2007
Miami
Well i wanted to do something different with my supra when i bought it. So i contacted brendan alvarez owner and operator of PSI racing here in miami who specializes in carburated forced induction among many other things. The plans were drawn up to use 3 double barrel webber carburators. The motor is built with crower rods,20 over je pistons, ported/polished head, custom ground 288 degree cams, turbonetics t72, sumped fuel tank with -8 lines, PSI racing exhaust manifold, and several other performance parts. The original ignition set up consisted of a haltech IG-5 ignition only computer, MSD dis-4, and accel coils.

After all this work the car sat for several years until 2006. Started working on it again and finally finished up a few odds and ends. Here is where the fun begins. Got the motor fired up and started to tune it. Got it to the point where it was running pretty good but needed more tuning. After turning the motor off and then restarting it, i immediately noticed it was not running on all 6 cylinders. Did some investigation and there was no spark on cylinders 2 and 5. All the coils were checked, double checked and they were all in working condition. It was determined that the haltech was at fault. Sent it in for service, and got it back a few weeks later. Immediately after installation the same problem came back to haunt us. Sent it in for service one more time and it came back with the same results. No spark 2 and 5. Sent the dis-4 to MSD and it checked out fine.

After all this trouble i decided to remove the exsisting ignition and go with the electromotive XDI ignition set up (which brendan was not familiar with). So i was kind of on my own and felt i had no other option but to try this system. And this is were i am today, motor will not boost past 10lbs.

Here is my introduction with a few pics. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61589

Carburated7M

Jun 23, 2007
Miami
Spark plug gap is set at .031. I honestly dont know if the spark is blowing out. What would that sound or feel like? i am thinking something similar to fuel cut?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but now that the XDI is on, you no longer have the issue with spark on 2 & 5 correct? Is the only issue now it not being able to boost past 10psi?